The Best Vegan Banana Bread recipe is so easy to make and absolutely perfect! Using only 10 simple ingredients, it’s moist, healthy, oil-free, and so delicious! Ready in less than an hour from start to finish.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or use a nonstick loaf pan.
- Place the bananas in a medium or large bowl and mash using a fork or potato masher. The bananas do not have to be completely smooth, it’s ok to have some small chunks for texture. Now, add in all the remaining wet ingredients with the mashed bananas and mix until everything is well combined.
- To a separate bowl add in all the dry ingredients and whisk them together. Then add to the wet and mix until everything is “just” combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. Think “pancake batter” consistency. A little thick with some lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. The banana bread is done once you insert a knife or toothpick and it comes out clean. Keep in mind all appliances are different so cooking time can vary several minutes one way or the other.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool for a bit in the baking pan. Then, carefully remove it and allow it to cool, preferably to room temperature, on a cutting board or cooling rack. The longer you let it set the easier it will slice. The texture and flavor will get better as well.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
How Do I Make Vegan Banana Bread Muffins? Simply follow the same recipe, spoon the batter into a muffin tin lined with those little paper cups, and bake for 35-40 minutes. Silicone muffin pans are excellent as well. The muffins are done once you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Can I make this vegan banana bread gluten-free? Use your favorite gluten-free baking flour or gluten-free oat flour. Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour is excellent.
How long will banana bread last? Simply cover in plastic wrap or store or an airtight container at room temperature on your counter for a couple of days. If you store it in the fridge it will last for up to a week. FYI, be sure and wrap it well in order to prevent it from drying out, especially once it’s been sliced.
How do you freeze vegan banana bread? You can store this banana bread for 2 months in a freezer safer container or storage bag. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight. I enjoy heating up a nonstick skillet and heating for just a minute or two on each side. It gets all warm and a little crispy around the edges. So good. You can also use a microwave to warm it up.
Ripe Bananas: Use only ripe bananas or overripe bananas. In other words, the browner the better. Bananas become sweeter the riper they get, thereby, allowing you to use less sweetener. You will also get a much better banana flavor.
Measure your flour: Use a measuring cup, fill it with the flour, then use the back of a knife to level it off.
Moisture Is Important: DO NOT leave out the applesauce. Remember, this recipe is oil-free and the applesauce is the oil replacement. If you don’t have unsweetened applesauce be sure and check out my list of Healthy Oil Replacements In Baking.
Optional Add-ins: This banana bread recipe is super versatile and works great with other ingredients. Toss in some vegan chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, pecans, dried fruit, or extra spices if you like. Make it work for you!
Bake time and oven temperatures can vary and are not always universally consistent when it comes to baking. This is what has worked for me and others, but be mindful of your appliances. A good practice is to make notes when something doesn’t work and make your adjustments going forward.
Keywords: vegan banana bread, vegan banana bread recipe, healthy vegan banana bread, vegan banana bread no oil, vegan banana bread applesauce