Making the best Vegan Stuffing is so easy and it’s an absolute must-have for your Thanksgiving and Christmas table! Made with 7 simple ingredients, this healthy version of a classic is so satisfying and absolutely delicious.
- 1 loaf of hearty whole-grain bread cut into 1” cubes
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. sage
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Prepare the Bread
Do this the night before. Cut your bread into 1″ cubes and set it out in a large bowl or on a baking sheet so it will dry out and turn stale.
Make The Stuffing
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the veggies until the onions are translucent and soft. Add a little water or veggie stock if you need to.
- Place the bread cubes, sautéed vegetables, and spices in a large mixing bowl and toss until everything is well combined. Then, pour in the veggie stock and mix well. You want the bread to be “just saturated” – not too wet, and not too dry.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to a 9 × 13 baking dish or 8 × 8 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350˚F or until the bread starts to brown.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and allow it to cool for just a few minutes before serving.
A loaf of good whole-grain bread is what I prefer. But, other good options are sourdough bread, French bread, Italian bread, and crunchy baguettes. But, a regular loaf of whole-wheat bread off the shelf works as well.
Depending on the type of bread you use, you may increase or decrease the amount of veggie broth. You want the bread to be just saturated. Not too wet and not too dry.
Adding things dried cranberries and maple roasted pecans for extra flavor and texture is excellent. But, any healthy dried fruit, nuts, or seeds will work.
Use whatever veggies you have on hand. I really like adding mushrooms and carrots if I have them.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 287.3 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 6.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan stuffing, vegetarian dressing,