Chickpea Noodle Soup is nourishing, comforting, vegan, and delicious! It’s the perfect soup for cold weather or when you are under the weather. Made in 1-pot and ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (peeled and slice into discs)
- 3 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp each of dried thyme, oregano, and basil)
- 6–8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (depending on desired thickness)
- 1.5 cups chickpeas (low-sodium or no salt added)
- 8 oz. whole grain spaghetti (or favorite pasta)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large cast-iron dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, seasoning, and 1/4 cup of the broth. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the veggies are slightly soft.
- Pour in the remaining broth and bring to a boil. Then, add the noodles and chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Break the noodles into smaller pieces if you prefer bite-sized portions.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Remove from heat and serve immediatel.
- Serve with fresh or dried chopped parsley, whole-grain crackers, or rustic whole-grain bread.
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Chickpea noodle soup freezes well and can be stored for up to 3 months. Let the soup cool completely, ladle the soup into an airtight freezer-safe container, and freeze it for up to three months.
If you want this recipe to be completely gluten-free simply swap out the whole wheat pasta for your favorite gluten-free version.
If using spaghetti, as I do, be sure and break the noodles into smaller pieces. Alternately, you can use any short cut pasta you wish.
Keywords: broth recipes, Vegan, vegan broth soup, vegan soup recipe, chickpea soup, vegan chickpea soup