This recipe for Vegan Scalloped Potatoes is the best and so easy to make! Thinly sliced potatoes covered in a creamy cashew-based cheese sauce and baked to perfection. It’s the perfect side dish for the holidays or any other occasion. And, NO DAIRY!
- 8–10 russet potatoes(roughly 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, diced
For The Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened plant milk of choice)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Bouillon (optional)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- Vegan Parmesan
- Freshly chopped green onion or chives
- Chopped Parsely
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Boil cashews for 5-10 minutes then drain and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is ready, add diced onions along with a little water or veggie broth, if needed, to prevent sticking. Cook until the onions are “soft.” Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes evenly as possible. I prefer using a mandoline slicer. If you don’t have a mandoline slicer you can use a knife. Just try to make the slices fairly consistent.
- Add cashews, almond milk, veggie broth, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt to blender. Process until “cheese” sauce is completely smooth. Pour cheese sauce into mixing bowl, add the cooked onions and stir to combine.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the cheese sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish and evenly spread.
- Layer 1/2 the potatoes in the baking dish and pour 1/2 the creamy sauce over the potatoes. Add the remaining potatoes and top with the rest of the sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top of potatoes are brown and sauce is bubbling. The potatoes should be tender enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before eating.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 141.3 mg
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: side, vegan, potatoes, baking, cheese, scalloped potatoes