Creamy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes baked to perfection in a cashew-based cheese sauce. Rich, thick, savory, healthy and absolutely delicious. And, NO DAIRY!
- 8-10 russet potatoes(roughly 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
I like to sprinkle some dried thyme and parsley on the potatoes right before I put them in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once skillet is ready, add diced onions and minced garlic along with a little water or veggie broth, if needed, to prevent sticking. Cook until the onions are “soft.” Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes evenly as possible. I prefer using a mandoline slicer. If you don’t have a mandoline slicer you can use a knife. Just try to make the slices fairly consistent.
- Add cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, turmeric, and nutritional yeast to blender. Process until “cheese” sauce is completely smooth. Pour cheese sauce into mixing bowl, add cooked onions and garlic, and stir to combine.
- Pour 1/4 cup of cheese sauce into onto bottom of baking dish and evenly spread.
- Layer 1/2 the potatoes in baking dish and pour 1/2 the cashew cheese sauce over the potatoes. Add remaining potatoes and top with the rest of the cashew cheese sauce.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until the top of potatoes are brown and sauce is bubbling. Check and make sure potatoes are tender by piercing with a fork.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before eating.
Sprinkle and serve with Easy Vegan Parmesan and freshly chopped green onions.
Keywords: side, vegan, potatoes, baking, cheese, scalloped potatoes