Quick and easy grilled teriyaki tofu skewers covered in a homemade teriyaki sauce and grilled to perfection. Healthy, vegan, and delicious!
- 1 batch Easy Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) package Super Firm Tofu (cut into 1″ cubes)
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1″ chunks (sub yellow or red onion if desired)
- NOTE: If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tofu to a glass bowl or baking dish and cover with 3/4 cup of easy vegan teriyaki sauce. Lightly toss, making sure all of the tofu is coated, then cover the dish and let the tofu marinate for 20-30 minutes at room temperature. If the teriyaki sauce seems a bit thick feel free to add a little water in order to thin it out. NOTE: for maximum flavor, marinating the tofu overnight is best.
- Preheat a nonstick grill pan over medium heat. If you are using an outdoor gas grill, preheat to medium-high heat as well.
- Begin threading the skewers with the tofu and onion, alternating each piece until you end with the onion.
- Grill. Add the tofu to the grill pan making sure all the tofu cubes are actually touching the grill. Rotate the skewers every 3 1/2 – 4 minutes, using tongs or spatula.
- Baste. Transfer the skewers to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and brush with more teriyaki sauce.
- Garnish with chopped green onion, sesame seeds, or crushed peanuts, and enjoy!
These grilled teriyaki tofu skewers are excellent served over rice or alongside steamed vegetables. Drizzle with some fresh lime juice for brightness and flavor.
Extra firm tofu or firmer is best for this recipe. I used super firm tofu for this recipe, it’s vacuum-sealed and requires no pressing.
You should allow the tofu to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes before grilling. But, for maximum flavor, I recommend letting the tofu sit in the marinade overnight in the fridge.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can easily reheat the tofu in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Replace the soy sauce with low-sodium tamari to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 325.6 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 11.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tofu skewers, tofu kebabs, teriyaki tofu skewers, easy vegan recipes, oil-free, easy plant-based recipes