Fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes made from scratch! Healthy enough for breakfast, indulgent enough for dessert. Oil-free, easy, and delicious!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Optional: 1 tablespoon dry sweetener (organic cane sugar, date sugar, maple sugar)
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy milk and almond milk work best)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (may sub apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl or large measuring cup whisk all of the wet ingredients together and set aside for about 5 minutes. This will give the vinegar and milk time to sit and create the vegan buttermilk.
- Next, add all of the dry ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, to a large mixing bowl and stir everything together.
- Pour in the wet mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth. Set the batter aside and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. While the batter is resting, preheat a nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat. Once your pan is ready pour the desired amount of pancake batter into the pan. I normally use about 1/2 cup of batter per pancake. But, 1/3 a cup will give you more pancakes.
- As the pancakes begin to cook the top will start to bubble and the edges will slightly crisp. Once this happens, flip the pancake and cook for another 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve immediately with warm maple syrup, vegan chocolate ganache, or a spread of peanut butter.
- Optional Toppings: dark chocolate chips, fresh berries, or sliced banana.
Don’t overmix your batter! Whisk it until it’s smooth then stop. Too much mixing will cause the pancakes to come out flat and dense.
Let the batter sit for at least 5 minutes after mixing so the vinegar and baking powder has time to make the batter light and airy.
NO HIGH HEAT! Set your pan on medium heat and allow it to completely heat up before making the pancakes.
Leftover pancakes can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days or in the freezer for 1 month. I always make an extra batch, freeze them, and pop them in the toaster oven when I need a quick breakfast.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 275.2 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate pancakes, fluffy vegan chocolate pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, vegan breakfast recipes, plant-based breakfast recipes