These Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas are so easy to make and a classic Southern favorite. With just 3 simple ingredients and no soaking required, you can enjoy PERFECT black-eyed peas made in your pressure cooker every time! This recipe also included stovetop directions as well.
- 1 lb. bag of black eyed peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and let it completely heat up. Add in the onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Change the setting to Manual on the Instant Pot. Add in the vegetable broth, the black-eyed peas, and lightly stir to combine everything.
- Close the lid. Turn the venting knob to the sealing position and set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the peas are finished cooking allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, simply do a quick release.
- Remove the lid, season with salt and pepper, stir and serve.
This is an excellent recipe to prepare in advance because they are always better on day 2. Simply cook as directed, cover, and store in the fridge overnight.
Use dry black-eyed peas: This recipe is best if you use dried peas. Frozen peas will cook too quickly and turn to mush.
Don’t overcook: Black-eyed peas can turn to mush quickly they are overcooked. This is another reason not to use frozen or canned black-eyed peas.
Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth: Broth is much better for flavoring than water. One of the best things about black-eyed peas is their hearty and savory flavor. So, they require very little seasoning when cooking. The veggie broth will enhance the taste.
No soaking: This Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas recipe cooks fast, for a dry beans recipe, and doesn’t require any soaking. It’s one of the beauties of using a pressure cooker.
To double this recipe simply double the ingredients but NOT THE COOKING TIME!
- Category: Vegan Instant Pot Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Keywords: instant pot black eyed peas, new year's recipes, instant pot black eyed peas vegan