- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (you can also use white vinegar or lemon juice)
- Combine almond milk and vinegar, and whisk together.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken and curdle.
- Use as a buttermilk substitute in recipes.
This vegan buttermilk recipe ratio is 1:1 (1 cup milk to 1 Tbsp acid). So, if you only need a 1/2 cup for your recipe it would be 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice.
Store any leftover in a jar with a lid or airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Be sure and use only unsweetened non-dairy milk. Soy milk and almond milk are best for this recipe.
Apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and lemon juice all work well for this recipe. But, my preference has always been cider vinegar. But, that is merely preference.
Oat milk, for some reason, does not work for this recipe. It doesn’t curdle well because of the low fat content.
- Prep Time: 2 mins.
- Category: How To
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 42
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 186.3 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan buttermilk, how to make vegan buttermilk