This amazing vegan chocolate mug cake is rich, fudgy, and made in just minutes in the microwave.
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons water (may also sub unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips + extra for garnishing before microwaving
- In a small bowl, add the flour, tapioca flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk together until well combined. Add the maple syrup, applesauce, water, and vanilla extract.
- Stir until the batter is smooth and everything is well incorporated. The batter will be fairly thick so be sure and scrape the bottom of the bowl so there is no dry flour that didn’t get mixed. Add in the chocolate chips and stir.
- Spoon the batter into a large microwave-safe mug and sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top. Do not use small cups or mugs because this cake rises…BIG TIME!
- Place the mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute 15 seconds. If it looks slightly undercooked that’s ok because the mug cake will continue to cook as it cools. However, if it is fairly wet cook ten seconds at a time until done. You don’t want to overcook so if it’s a little undercooked that’s just fine.
- Remove the mug cake from the microwave and let cool for 3-4 minutes. Enjoy!
First things first, make sure you are using a microwave-safe mug.
If you want a smaller serving, divide the batter into two small 8-ounce mugs.
Be sure and use wider, larger mugs and not small ones. This cake rises extremely well and a small mug will not be sufficient.
Be sure and mix everything very well. You don’t want to overmix but be sure there is no extra flour sitting in the bottom of the bowl that didn’t get incorporated. Use a small rubber spatula to scrape and stir everything together.
Keep in mind that every microwave is different so adjust your time based on your microwave. If the time I’ve provided does not work cook for an extra 10 seconds at a time. But, be careful not to overcook. You don’t want a “gummy” cake. Blah! It’s better to be a little undercooked.
Let it cool for like 3 to 4 minutes just like a regular cake. It helps everything to settle and finish up any extra cooking.
Do you need to use gluten-free flour? Then, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour is perfect.
- Serving Size: 1 large mug
- Calories: 452
- Sugar: 47 g
- Sodium: 327.5 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 95 g
- Fiber: 10.1 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan chocolate mug cake, vegan mug cake, chocolate mug cake, mug cake, vegan chocolate cake, vegan dessert recipes, plant-based dessert recipes, easy vegan dessert recipes