Healthy French potato salad is a simple recipe made with red potatoes, fresh herbs, and a creamy oil-free Dijon vinaigrette dressing. The perfect plant-based side dish, light lunch, or afternoon snack.
- 2 pounds of small red potatoes, washed and sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 1 Tbsp of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of aquafaba
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh dill, chopped
- Optional: add 1 Tbsp of fresh thyme and rosemary for extra flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by washing the potatoes and slicing them into 1/4″ inch rounds. Leave the skins on for extra texture and nutrients.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and let the potatoes simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Be careful not to overcook them, or they will become mushy. But, you also don’t want to undercook them as they be firm and hard to eat. If you are questioning you can take out a slice and test it.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, aquafaba, maple syrup, minced garlic, chopped parsley, chives, and dill until well combined.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them, and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Add the white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, lightly toss, and let the potatoes cool for 5-10 minutes. Then, transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and gently toss until all of the potatoes are evenly coated. Be careful not to mash the potatoes while mixing and tossing.
- Season the French-style potato salad with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper if you wish.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
French-style potato salad is not freezer-friendly.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 295.3 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan potato salad, french potato salad, french-style potato salad, no mayo, oil-free, gluten-free, vegan side dish