- 1 cup low sodium or no salt added red kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium veggie broth or water
- Prehat your oven to 350˚F
- Add the kidney beans, tomato paste, soy sauce, and 2 Tbsp. of the leftover bean juice from can to a food processor and blend until everything is smooth.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, sage, thyme, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Whisk until everything is well combined. Stir in the bean paste and mix until well combined. The dough will still be very dry with a lot lumps.
- Pour in the low sodium veggie broth. Mix the dough until it has a stretchy elastic texture and becomes thick. Once everything is well combined, knead the dough with your hands for about 2 to 3 minutes. If the dough is too wet, add a little wheat gluten. If it’s too dry, add a little more water or broth. Let the dough rest for about 5 minutes after kneading.
- Roll out the dough and make a log that’s about 8-10 inches long. Layout enough aluminum foil to get at least two wraps around the roast and overlap on the ends. Take out a piece of parchment paper the same size of the aluminum foil. Wrap the log in parchment paper first and then roll it up in aluminum foil.
- Set the roast on a baking sheet, place it in the oven and bake the roast for at least 1 hour. Flip the roast every 15 minutes. A good pair of tongs work well for this.
- Remove the roast from the oven, safely remove the foil and parchment paper, let sit for 10-15 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 232
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 454.9 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.6 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 30.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: holiday, roast, vegan roast, vegan holiday roast, seitan, Thanksgiving, Christmas, dinner, healthy vegan recipes