Vegan Italian Sausage Crumbles are so easy to make and a great meat replacement for certain plant-based recipes. Made with Textured Vegetable Protein along with a mix of herbs and spices like ground fennel seeds, sage, thyme, and more, these veggie crumbles are the perfect addition to favorite savory plant-based recipes like chili, pasta sauce, pizza, and more. Low-fat, high in protein, and gluten-free.
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce or 2 1/2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (may be omitted, used primarily for color)
- Start by heating a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a small saucepan add all of the wet ingredients and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, add the TVP with all of the other dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Pour the boiling water into the dry TVP mixture, and stir until everything is completely mixed. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes so all of the water can be absorbed. There may be a little moisture in the bottom of the pan but it will cook off once you add the mixture to the frying pan.
- Pour the TVP crumbles into the frying pan, stirring occasionally, and cook until most of the moisture is gone. Usually about 2-3 minutes. The mixture will be more “chewy” like sausage and not crisp.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings as needed.
- Serve right away or store in an airtight container for later use.
If you prefer a crunchier texture you can bake the crumbles after cooking on the stovetop. Preheat your oven to 425˚F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the crumbles out evenly, and bake for 15-20 minutes until crunchy.
To make these completely gluten-free use low-sodium tamari sauce.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 62
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 220.8 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tvp, textured vegetable protein, veggie sausage crumbles, vegan italian sausage crumbles, vegan sausage crumbles