Vegan Pumpkin Pie Pancakes! Light, healthy, delicious and super easy to make. No dairy. No oil. No refined sugar. And, extremely low in fat.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed or milled flaxseed (same thing, just a different name)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice (1 tsp. cinnamon // 1 tsp. all spice // 1/2 tsp. ginger)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or plant-milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Heat a nonstick griddle to 375 or a large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Whatever you use, allow to COMPLETELY heat before using. It usually takes about 4-5 minutes to completely heat, but every appliance is different.
- Combine milk and vinegar. Whisk together until it bubbles. Set aside while you combine other ingredients and allow milk to curdle. This will be like buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Using another bowl mix the pumpkin and maple syrup together. Add to the dry ingredient, but don’t mix…yet!
- Add the “buttermilk” and applesauce. Whisk everything together until it looks like pancake batter. If you want fluffier pancakes, leave some lumps and don’t over-mix. If you want your pancakes a little more dense, which is how I like them, whisk until the batter is completely smooth.
- Spoon a 1/4 cup of the batter onto cooking surface.
- Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear in the center or the edges start to brown, usually about 45 seconds-1 minute. Flip and cook for another minute and they’re no longer doughy in the center.
- Serve these bad boys with whatever you want: maple syrup, fresh fruit, nuts, non-dairy chocolate chips. It’s your world, do what you want.
FYI, these pancakes are not super “fluffy” like some pancakes. If you want them a little fluffier, simply add more flour until you get the consistency you desire.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 87.1 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.1 g
- Fiber: 7.6 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg