Vegan Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie! Packed with beans, vegetables, amazing spices and topped with mashed sweet potatoes. Healthy, hearty, delicious and something even your flesh-eating friends will enjoy.
- 5 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 8 oz. chopped mushrooms (I prefer cremini or baby bellas)
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes (NOT PACKED IN OIL, I prefer Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 x 15-ounce can of lentils or 2 cups cooked lentils. (if canned, use low-sodium or no salt added. Be sure to drain and rinse)
- 1 x 15-ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed (use low-sodium or no salt added)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork, place on baking pan, and cook for 30 minutes or until they tender enough to mash with a fork. Once the sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven, mash with skins on, and set aside.
- Reset oven to 350 degrees for later on in the recipe.
- Preheat large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is ready add celery and carrots. Let cook for 2-3 minutes adding a little veggie broth if necessary to prevent sticking. Toss in the onions and let cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, coriander, parsley, thyme and rosemary along with 1-2 Tbsp. of veggie stock. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes.
- While mixture cooks, slice mushrooms and chop up the sun-dried tomatoes. (If you bought sliced mushrooms just chill for a few minutes.) Add the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and veggie stock. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and chickpeas. Mix well to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Once everything is mixed together pour into a 9×11 or 9×13 baking dish, spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly over mixture. Put back in oven and bake for 10 minutes allowing the whole dish to get hot.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!