A delicious vegan meatloaf made with chickpeas and topped with a homemade maple bbq sauce glaze. It’s so EASY to make, bakes up perfectly, and is absolutely delicious.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium or no salt added chickpeas
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
BBQ Maple Glaze
- Preheat your oven to 375 F˚.
- In a nonstick pan, that has been preheated over medium heat, cook your chopped onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are a little soft. Once they are finished cooking remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and mashed with a fork or potato masher. Toss in the cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients. Mix everything together unitl it is all well combined.
- Scoop the chickpea vegan meatloaf mixture into nonstick loaf pan, silicone loaf pan, or line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Firmly and evenly, press the mixture into the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the veggie loaf cooks go ahead and make the maple bbq sauce glaze. Simply add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Take the veggie loaf out of the oven, remove the aluminum foil, and spread the maple bbq sauce glaze on top. Place the loaf back in the oven and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the chickpea vegan meatloaf from the oven and let it cool in the loaf pan for about 15 minutes before serving. The longer it sets, ther firmer it gets.
- Slice, serve, and devour! Cover leftovers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf is a great “make ahead” dish as it freezes very well. It can be stored in the freezer for several weeks until you’re ready to cook.
Keywords: vegan meatloaf, chickpeas, vegan, plant-based, no oil, healthy recipes, vegan recipes, vegan chickpea meatloaf