A delicious vegan meatloaf made with chickpeas and covered with a homemade maple bbq sauce. It’s so EASY to make and is absolutely delicious.
It’s Autumn and comfort foods are the expectation among family and friends. One of the most common and popular forms of said comfort food is the meatloaf. But, for those of us who no longer eat dead flesh, there needs to be a satisfying plant based alternative. Does such a thing even exist? Yes, it does.
We all know there are tons of vegan recipes for “meat” loaves. And, some can be rather bland and mushy. You want/need something hearty, savory, and doesn’t fall apart at the mere sight of a fork. In other words, you need this Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf.
This chickpea vegan meatloaf recipe will satisfy everyone sitting around the table at dinner time. So, make this part of your Autumn vegan meal plan. Because if you don’t, you risk watching your self-esteem go down the toilet because everyone laughed at your “mush” loaf.
How Do I Make Vegan Meatloaf
Start by cooking the onion, carrots, and celery in a large nonstick pan altogether over medium heat. I LOVE my GreenPans and they are perfect for oil free cooking. Cook until the onions are a little soft. Remove your pan from the stove and set aside.
Drain and rinse your chickpeas, add them to a large mixing bowl, and mash them with a potato masher. Toss in the bread crumbs, soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and all remaining ingredients. Mix very well until everything is combined.
NOTE: You can use a food processor to mix everything. But, don’t overmix everything. You still want a bit of texture. And, you may also have to work in batches because of the quantity.
After the 25 minutes, take the vegan meatloaf out of the oven, remove the aluminum foil, and spread the maple bbq sauce glaze on top.
Return the loaf to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
Finally, remove from the oven and let the chickpea vegan meatloaf sit for about 15 minutes or so. It will firm up even more as it cools.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
Not a fan of the chickpeas? There’s always the lentil. Try my other vegan meatloaf recipe made with lentils and oats. It has a few more ingredients, but it’s just as delicious and savory!
What To Serve With Vegan Meatloaf
- Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole With Onion Rings
- Vegan Sweet Potatoe Casserole
- Creamy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Cranberry Sauce
- Apple Walnut Salad
You will love this Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf! It’s…
- Easy to make
- Perfectly seasoned
- Perfect for November
- Full of protein and fiber
- & Delicious!
A delicious vegan meatloaf made with chickpeas and topped with a homemade maple bbq sauce glaze. It’s so EASY to make, bakes up perfectly, and is absolutely delicious.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans low-sodium or no salt added chickpeas
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground sage
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
BBQ Maple Glaze
- Preheat your oven to 375 F˚.
- In a nonstick pan, that has been preheated over medium heat, cook your chopped onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are a little soft. Once they are finished cooking remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and mashed with a fork or potato masher. Toss in the cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients. Mix everything together unitl it is all well combined.
- Scoop the chickpea vegan meatloaf mixture into nonstick loaf pan, silicone loaf pan, or line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Firmly and evenly, press the mixture into the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the veggie loaf cooks go ahead and make the maple bbq sauce glaze. Simply add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Take the veggie loaf out of the oven, remove the aluminum foil, and spread the maple bbq sauce glaze on top. Place the loaf back in the oven and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the chickpea vegan meatloaf from the oven and let it cool in the loaf pan for about 15 minutes before serving. The longer it sets, ther firmer it gets.
- Slice, serve, and devour! Cover leftovers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf is a great “make ahead” dish as it freezes very well. It can be stored in the freezer for several weeks until you’re ready to cook.
Keywords: vegan meatloaf, chickpeas, vegan, plant-based, no oil, healthy recipes, vegan recipes, vegan chickpea meatloaf