This is the best homemade hummus recipe…EVER! It’s smooth, creamy, and better than any store-bought hummus on the shelf. You only need 3 simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make this delicious treat.
- (2) 15-ounce cans low sodium or no salt added chickpeas or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup Soco Tahini (If you don’t have SoCo just be sure and use good quality tahini)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to a food processor. Pulse the chickpeas a few times to get them started. Then, turn the food processor on and add a little water, if needed, to loosen the chickpeas up as they blend. But, not too much. Just enough to get things moving. You might have to stop and scrape down the sides, but that’s normal.
- While the food processor is running add the tahini and blend for 30 seconds. Then, add the lemon juice and blend for another 30 seconds. Begin adding a little water at a time until you get the consistency you want. I like mine not quite so thick so I can spread it easily. Make sure the water is cold.
- Once you have the texture, stop to taste, and then add salt to taste. Blend for a couple more minutes until everything is well combined and silky smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy. This hummus is perfect as is, but feel free to garnish as you desire.
- Smoked Paprika
- Pine Nuts
- Roasted Garlic
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Pepper
- Pickled Jalapenos
Keep in mind that while this hummus is a whole food, plant-based snack it is higher in fat because of the tahini content. We usually make this for special occasions, gatherings, parties, and other social events. And, to be enjoyed as a snack OCCASIONALLY.
- Category: Dips & Spread
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: hummus, classic hummus, authentic hummus, best hummus ever, best hummus recipe, homemade hummus