This is the best homemade hummus recipe EVER! It’s smooth, creamy, and better than any store-bought hummus on the shelf. You only need 3 simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make this delicious treat.
A couple of years ago I put out a recipe for Creamy Oil-Free Hummus and at the time I thought I’d hit on something incredible. And, it’s been one of the more popular recipes on my blog. But, I still felt as though something wasn’t quite right. So, back to the drawing board.
I wanted to make hummus as good as the one from my favorite middle-eastern restaurant. Smooth, creamy, and decadent. But, was that possible? So, I did a ton of research and what I found out blew my mind. When it comes to making authentic hummus, less is more. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe!
Once you make this hummus I feel pretty confident in saying you’ll never again want to buy it. Are you ready? Let’s do it!
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Authentic Hummus
The first thing you’re going to notice the list of ingredients is very short. Most hummus recipes use olive oil, cumin, garlic, and a few other things. But, not this one. And, I promise this hummus recipe will blow your mind!
All you need are a few pantry staples to make this incredible creamy dip and spread. And, because it’s so easy and fast it’s the perfect “throw together” food for any gathering, last-minute idea for a snack, or appetizer before dinner.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chickpeas: Use low-sodium or no salt added if they’re available. If not, just be sure to rinse whatever you have really well.
- Tahini: SoCo Tahini is my personal favorite.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed is always best. But, if you use bottled, just make the only ingredients are “LEMON JUICE.” Yes, it makes a difference.
NOTE: Water and salt are listed in the instructions, but they are used “as needed” so I didn’t include them as ingredients. Because everyone usually has these on hand.
How Do You Make Authentic Hummus
To make the best hummus ever, all you have to do is:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then add them to your food processor. Start the food processor and add a little cold water to get everything moving. You might have to stop in order to scrape down the sides but that’s normal.
- With the food processor running pour in the tahini and blend for about 30 seconds. Now, pour in the lemon juice, with the food processor still running, and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Begin adding a little water at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stop, taste, and season with salt as needed. Then, start it back up and let the food processor run for about 2 minutes. This is just to make sure everything is well combined and it’s extra smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy.
This hummus recipe is perfect as is, but feel free to get creative and garnish or top as you desire. I love sprinkling a little smoked paprika and thyme on top. And, then dipping veggies or these Wasa Crisp Breads into it.
How To Serve Hummus
Yes, we all know hummus is an amazing dip. But, in reality, it’s way more versatile. Let me show you!
- Use it as a condiment on a sandwich, veggie burger, or your favorite veggie wrap
- It’s delicious on toast
- Add it to a bowl with rice, spinach, and fresh veggies to make a delicious and healthy Mediterranean bowl
- Stuff it in a pita with these amazing Easy Vegan Baked Falafels
- Tahini, tahini, tahini! I can’t stress this enough. Good tahini is a must for good hummus. It’s that simple. I’ve recently started using Soco and absolutely LOVE them. Yes, good tahini can be one of the more expensive items in the pantry, but it’s not something that’s often used that frequently. So, we consider it our “splurge” item.
- Be sure and use cold water when thinning out your hummus
- Use real lemon juice! You can use bottled lemon juice but make sure the only ingredients are lemons. Don’t use that crap in the green plastic jug.
- Want it a little tangier, add a little more lemon juice.
- Wait until the hummus has been made before you add any salt. You can always add, but you can never subtract.
You are going to love this classic hummus recipe. It’s…
- Quick & Easy
- Oil Free
- Smooth & Creamy
- Loaded with protein and fiber
- The perfect party food
- Absolutely delicious
More vegan dip recipes…
Try one of these amazing dips for your next gathering or get together.
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Best Vegan Queso
- Smoky Vegan Bacon Flavored Hummus
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Dessert Hummus
Be sure and let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment and rate it below. I want to know what you think. Peace and feast!Print
This is the best homemade hummus recipe…EVER! It’s smooth, creamy, and better than any store-bought hummus on the shelf. You only need 3 simple ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make this delicious treat.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to a food processor. Pulse the chickpeas a few times to get them started. Then, turn the food processor on and add a little water, if needed, to loosen the chickpeas up as they blend. But, not too much. Just enough to get things moving. You might have to stop and scrape down the sides, but that’s normal.
- While the food processor is running add the tahini and blend for 30 seconds. Then, add the lemon juice and blend for another 30 seconds. Begin adding a little water at a time until you get the consistency you want. I like mine not quite so thick so I can spread it easily. Make sure the water is cold.
- Once you have the texture, stop to taste, and then add salt to taste. Blend for a couple more minutes until everything is well combined and silky smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy. This hummus is perfect as is, but feel free to garnish as you desire.
- Smoked Paprika
- Pine Nuts
- Roasted Garlic
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Pepper
- Pickled Jalapenos
Keep in mind that while this hummus is a whole food, plant-based snack it is higher in fat because of the tahini content. We usually make this for special occasions, gatherings, parties, and other social events. And, to be enjoyed as a snack OCCASIONALLY.
Keywords: hummus, classic hummus, authentic hummus, best hummus ever, best hummus recipe, homemade hummus