Creamy sauces, even the vegan ones, are usually full of fat and not healthy. But not this bad boy! My Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Kale Pasta is tangy, rich, decadent, and yes, creamy! It all comes together in less than 30 minutes so it’s perfect when you want something quick, delicious, and healthy. Perfect for a mid-week meal.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (get the ones not packed in oil)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1 pound whole grain penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 5 oz. fresh chopped kale
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Crushed red pepper flakes to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat nonstick skillet on medium-high heat.
- While pan is heating chop onions and slice sun-dried tomatoes into strips length-wise.
- Once pan is ready, add the onions and cook until they are soft. Then add garlic with a couple tablespoons of water and cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and combine well with onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss in the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for just a minute or two.
- Pour in the veggie broth and plant milk, increase heat, and bring to a slight boil.
- Add the uncooked pasta, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale, stir well to combine and cook until it starts to wilt. Then, add nutritional yeast and stir until pasta is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and serve.
*The key to seasoning your food really well with spices is allowing your spices to toast. So, add them when you are cooking your onions, etc. The spices will cook into your food and season much better.
- Category: Entree