This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Kale Pasta is so easy to make, super healthy, and kid-approved. It’s rich, creamy, and the perfect dish for a midweek meal.
Sometimes it takes a good swift kick in the lower food regions to make a change. The truth is you can eat better and healthier and it doesn’t have to be complicated or tasteless. So, let’s make some Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Kale Pasta.
Everyone loves a good carb coma once in a while, especially with creamy pastas! But, even vegan ones can be loaded with so much fat and crap they’re just not healthy. Well, not this bad boy! So, go ahead and put on your favorite sweat pants. It’s time to INDULGE!
I love sun-dried tomatoes! They provide the perfect amount of “tang” to tickle the tastebuds and have a very “meaty” texture. Nutritional yeast, or nooch as we veteran plant-basers like to say, gives this pasta its cheesy flavor. If you’ve never used nutritional yeast, you need to start…NOW! Learn it. Live it. Love it! It’s an absolute game changer.
And, just where does all that creamy goodness come from without using dairy? Well, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to use liquid flesh – a.k.a. dairy – to get the rich creamy texture you desire in a good pasta dish. Unsweetened almond milk and some veggie broth work just fine as you will soon taste and see. And, it’ll keep you off the cholesterol medication. Again, you’re welcome.
And, let us not forget the jolly green giant of nutrition in this recipe…KALE! Can you think of a better way to eat kale than letting it slide down your gullet coated in rich, creamy, cheesy sauce? I sure as hell can’t. And, for a third time…YOU’RE WELCOME.
Trust me, you’re going to love this dish. Why? Because it’s…
Loaded with flavor
Simple to make
& SO FREAKING GOOD
Want more of a cheesy kick, my Plant-Based Parmesan is perfect for topping! It’s quick and super simple to whip up.
If this doesn’t fix your cheese craving and you’re longing for a little more, there’s always my Game Day Cheese Dip. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
Be sure and let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, take a picture, post it on Instagram and tag the photo #shaneandsimple so I can see your dish. If you want to be kept up to speed on all that’s going down with Shane & Simple and my latest recipes – SUBSCRIBE HERE!Print
Creamy sauces, even the vegan ones, are usually full of fat and not healthy. But not this bad boy! My Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato & Kale Pasta is tangy, rich, decadent, and yes, creamy! It all comes together in less than 30 minutes so it’s perfect when you want something quick, delicious, and healthy. Perfect for a mid-week meal.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (get the ones not packed in oil)
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1 pound whole grain penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 5 oz. fresh chopped kale
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Crushed red pepper flakes to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat nonstick skillet on medium-high heat.
- While pan is heating chop onions and slice sun-dried tomatoes into strips length-wise.
- Once pan is ready, add the onions and cook until they are soft. Then add garlic with a couple tablespoons of water and cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and combine well with onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss in the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for just a minute or two.
- Pour in the veggie broth and plant milk, increase heat, and bring to a slight boil.
- Add the uncooked pasta, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale, stir well to combine and cook until it starts to wilt. Then, add nutritional yeast and stir until pasta is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from heat and serve.
*The key to seasoning your food really well with spices is allowing your spices to toast. So, add them when you are cooking your onions, etc. The spices will cook into your food and season much better.
- Category: Entree