Turn frozen vegetables into a comforting and savory vegetable pot pie with this easy recipe that features a biscuit topping. Healthy, oil-free, and completely WFPB.
- Prepare biscuits according to instructions but do not bake.
- Set your oven to 425˚F and preheat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. All appliances are different so you may have to adjust to medium-high heat. I would suggest a big enough pan so the filling will fit and not spill over the edges. Personally, I use my dutch oven.
- Once the skillet or dutch oven is ready add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, thyme, and sage. Stir to combine and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and the onions are soft. Usually about 4-5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, vegetable broth, and milk until smooth. Then, add in the frozen veggies and soy sauce. Stir everything together, bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or so allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish or baking dish, line the top with the biscuits, and bake for 15-20 minutes until the filling is hot and bubbly and the biscuits are cooked through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Prep time includes stove top filling prep. Cook time refers to baking only.
For a thicker pot pie filling, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of warm water until it forms a slurry. Then, stir the cornstarch slurry into the filling as it simmers.
Leftovers should be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you prefer a “meatier” pot pie you can toss in some diced tofu or soy curls.
You will more than likely have leftover biscuits. I like to bake them and save them for later but I also enjoy a couple along with my pot pie. They’re great for sopping up any gravy that’s left behind. You’re welcome.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 218.2 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegetable pot pie, comfort food, vegan comfort food, pot pie with biscuits, vegan holiday meals