This is the BEST Vegan Biscuit Recipe! These easy homemade biscuits are easy to make and free from any dairy or oil. You need a few simple ingredients, 1 bowl, and less than 30 minutes. Healthy, wholesome, and delicious!
OK, folks, I am super excited about this recipe and I’ve been wanting to share it for quite some time! And, for a couple of reasons. One, I LOVE homemade biscuits. And, second, my wife developed this recipe. She’s more of the baker in the family and she’s hot! Just had to throw that in there.
But, that’s not all that makes this biscuit recipe special. I will explain.
My wife is from Tennessee and I’m from Mississippi so we have very high biscuit standards. We don’t do that pop-top canned crap from the grocery store here in the south. That’s heresy, my friend. Families have been known to go to war over such things.
So, we knew if were going to make biscuits that we, and our extended families, would enjoy and approve they’d have to reach a certain standard.
I believe, after some trial and error, that’s what we’ve done. And, we kept these biscuits healthy too. There’s no oil, no fake or real butter, and no dairy. And, THEY ARE DELICIOUS!
How delicious? Like, I would gladly serve these to my grandmother who made the best homemade biscuits.
Let’s do it!
How Do You Make the Best Vegan Biscuits
Mix the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice into unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or non-dairy milk of your choice. Set it aside and allow it to curdle to make “buttermilk.” You’re essentially going to be making vegan buttermilk biscuits. (FYI, I used unsweetened almond milk)
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until everything is well combined. I used organic unbleached flour but whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, or whole wheat pastry flour works great as well.
Now, gently cut the applesauce into the flour mixture using a whisk or a fork. You’re going for a crumbly mixture that has little lumpy bits.
Using a large wooden spoon, slowly add the milk and apple cider mixture and slowly fold it in until the dough is sticky. But, be gentle! The less the dough is “handled” the better. You don’t want to over mix.
Drop the biscuit dough onto a floured surface, sprinkle a little more flour onto the top of your dough, and flour your rolling pin. Gently roll or press the dough out to ½″ thickness. Again, being gentle is key!
Use a jar, small drinking glass, or pastry cutter for your desired size and cut the biscuits.
Layout the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet until the biscuits are almost touching or are just touching one another.
Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the tops are golden. Remove the vegan biscuits from the oven, let them cool for just a few minutes, and ENJOY! You just made biscuits.
Can I Make Gluten Free Easy Vegan Biscuits
Yes. I haven’t made these with gluten free flour, but I always recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. Bob always seems to come through.
What Do I Serve With Easy Homemade Vegan Biscuits
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage
- Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- Smoky Maple Tempeh Bacon
- Easy Vegan Brown Gravy
- Plain old jam
No doubt this will be one of your favorite recipes. These Vegan Biscuits are…
- Easy to make, even though there’s a process
- Perfect for breakfast
- & DELICIOUS
“When” you make biscuits you got to let me know. Please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure to share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work.Print
The BEST Vegan Biscuit Recipe! These easy homemade biscuits are easy to make and free from any dairy or oil. You need a few simple ingredients, 1 bowl, and less than 30 minutes. Healthy, wholesome, and delicious!
- Preheat the oven to 450 F˚
- Mix the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk together until everything is well combined.
- Gently cut the applesauce into the flour mixture with a whisk or fork. You’re going for a crumbly mixture that has little lumpy bits.
- Using a large wooden spoon, slowly fold in the milk and apple cider mixture until the dough is sticky. Be gentle! The less the dough is “handled” the better. Do not over mix.
- Grab a handful of flour and sprinkle on your counter top. Drop the biscuit dough onto the floured surface. Sprinkle more flour onto the dough and flour your rolling pin (or whatever you’re using to roll out dough).
- Gently roll, pat, or press dough out to ½″ thickness. Again, being gentle is key!
- Use a jar, small drinking glass, or biscuit cutter of desired size to cut biscuits.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and layout biscuits until they are almost touching.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until the tops are golden.
Don’t be afraid to be generous when flouring your counter top and the dough before rolling out.
Keywords: homemade biscuits, vegan buttermilk biscuits, healthy breakfast recipes, oil-free, vegan breakfast recipes