Healthy vegan brownies that are refined sugar-free, rich, fudgy, and oil-free! An easy low-calorie treat that’s moist and full of decadent chocolate flavor.
- 1 medium banana, ripened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (NOT BAKING POWDER)
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)
- Nuts: chopped walnuts, pecans, or pistachio
- Preheat your oven to 400˚F.
- To a large mixing bowl add the banana and mash until it’s fairly smooth. Some chunks are ok but you want a smooth consistency. Stir in the remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined. The brownie batter might seem a little dry but it’s fine. Do not add more liquid!
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spread the brownie mixture as evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. To check and see if the brownies are done simply insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean the brownies are finished baking. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Slice into 12 small pieces or 9 larger pieces.
Optional Ingredients: consider adding vegan chocolate chips, chopped pecans, walnuts, or dried fruit to the batter before baking.
DO NOT OVERBAKE!!! I hate dry brownies.
If you like gooey brownies like the ones in the photo either use a shorter cooking time or add extra chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and store them on the counter at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Drizzle with almond butter or any of your favorite nut butters.
Use baked sweet potatoes if you’re not a fan of bananas.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 7.3 g
- Sodium: 136.4 mg
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: healthy vegan brownies, chocolate, vegan desserts, plant-based desserts, oil-free vegan brownies