A delicious, plant-based breakfast sausage made with oats that is low in fat and high in fiber. It’s smoky, savory, hearty, and gluten-free! The perfect addition to any breakfast.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium veggie stock
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add veggie stock, soy sauce, liquid smoke to dry ingredients and use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to stir and mash all ingredients together. Continue stirring and mashing until mixture firms up and holds together well.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds and flax seed to absorb moisture.
- Preheat non-stick skillet on medium heat while mixture sits.
- Once skillet is hot lightly spray skillet and begin forming sausage patties.
- Place sausage patties in skillet and cook for 1 minute or until the down side is browned or slightly blackened. Flip patties and repeat.
Wet your hands as you form the patties to prevent the sausage mixture from sticking. Adjust spices and flavors to your liking. You can make this without the nutritional yeast. I like to add it mainly for the b-vitamins.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan