Ready to add a little spice to your life? Spicy vegan breakfast sausage patties made with oats. Hearty, smoky, savory, spicy and gluten-free! The perfect addition to any breakfast.
I mentioned in my very first post on Shane & Simple, I’m a bit nostalgic. And, when fall rolls around it’s more intense. Fall means flannel shirts; football on Saturdays; a hot cup of coffee on a crisp, gray afternoon; and BREAKFAST!
Although my dietary habits were quite different back in the day, I still cherish the memories made around the breakfast table at my grandmother’s house in Mississippi. I loved waking up to the smell of homemade sausage and biscuits on a cold morning. So, I thought I should try and recreate that same feeling, vegan style.
It took me awhile to get this recipe just the way I wanted it, but it was definitely worth all the effort and wait. I suffer so you don’t have to. You’re welcome!
Sausage is all about spice and there’s no shortage of those here.
Oats, chia seeds and ground flaxseed make up the “meaty” part of this recipe. Is it exactly like meat? Well, no, because it’s not meat. But, is it hearty? Yes. Does it hold together well? Yes. Is it delicious? Yes, yes, and yes!
Just wait until you smell these things cooking – HEAVEN!
This sausage recipe is spicy, hearty, super easy to make, meaty, savory, and absolutely delicious.Print
A delicious, plant-based breakfast sausage made with oats that is low in fat and high in fiber. It’s smoky, savory, hearty, and gluten-free! The perfect addition to any breakfast.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium veggie stock
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add veggie stock, soy sauce, liquid smoke to dry ingredients and use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to stir and mash all ingredients together. Continue stirring and mashing until mixture firms up and holds together well.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds and flax seed to absorb moisture.
- Preheat non-stick skillet on medium heat while mixture sits.
- Once skillet is hot lightly spray skillet and begin forming sausage patties.
- Place sausage patties in skillet and cook for 1 minute or until the down side is browned or slightly blackened. Flip patties and repeat.
Wet your hands as you form the patties to prevent the sausage mixture from sticking. Adjust spices and flavors to your liking. You can make this without the nutritional yeast. I like to add it mainly for the b-vitamins.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan