Vegan sausage gravy served over fluffy homemade vegan buttermilk biscuits is the best Southern breakfast! No dairy, no meat, and so easy. Ready in 30 minutes.
- 1 recipe of my Easy Vegan Sausage Crumbles
- 3 cups of cashew milk (sub oat milk or unsweetened soy milk)
- 1/3 cups organic unbleached flour (You may also use whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried and crushed rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
1 batch of my homemade vegan biscuits
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet or pan over medium-high heat and add the vegan sausage crumbles. Stir for a minute or two allowing them to heat up.
- Reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle the flour evenly over the crumbles, and pour in the milk. Stir constantly for 5-10 minutes until the mixture thickens and gravy is desired consistency. Then add the rosemary, thyme, black pepper and stir. Taste and season as needed.
- Serve hot over homemade biscuits.
Nutrition info is for the gravy only without the biscuits.
I prefer not to make the gravy, crumbles, or biscuits ahead of time because I love everything fresh. But, you could totally make one or several of these things beforehand to save time.
If you don’t have TVP for the crumbles you can make tofu or tempeh sausage crumbles using the same method and ingredients.
Homemade cashew milk will give you the best results. It’s thick more like a cream and just a hint of sweetness that works beautifully with the savoriness of the sausage flavor.
If cashew milk is unavailable unsweetened soy milk or oat milk will work. You could use unsweetened almond milk but you probably won’t get the rich and thick consistency of gravy.
You can make this recipe gluten-free. First, use gluten-free flour for both the biscuits and the gravy. And, use tamari in the sausage crumbles instead of soy sauce.
This gravy will last in an airtight container stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat simply place the gravy in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk, and stir until it’s warm.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 288.7 mg
- Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan sausage gravy, vegan biscuits and gravy, vegan biscuits and gravy, vegan breakfast recipes