This Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese recipe is so creamy, cheesy, and easy to make. Topped with a crunchy panko breadcrumb topping and baked to golden brown perfection, this recipe is a guaranteed family favorite!
Mac & Cheese
- (1) 16-ounce box elbow pasta
- 2 1/2 cups cashews
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 cup panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F and soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes while you wait.
- Place the cashews, broth, unsweetened almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt into a blender and process until completely smooth creamy.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package to make al dente. The macaroni will cook more in the oven.
- Drain and rinse the pasta and add it to a 9×13 baking dish . Then, pour cheese sauce over the pasta and gently mix making sure the pasta is covered.
- Whisk together the breadcrumbs and smoked paprika in a small mixing bowl and sprinkle over the mac and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Cook the pasta al dente so it is fairly firm. Remember, it will continue to cook in the oven and overcooked pasta is mushy and gross. Blah!
For a thicker sauce, you can add 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch to the cheese sauce when blending.
You can skip the baking if you prefer and simply enjoy the mac and cheese as a stovetop dish.
May use regular whole wheat bread crumbs instead of panko.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 183.5 mg
- Fat: 14.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.9 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 13.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: baked vegan mac and cheese, vegan baked mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese cashews, easy vegan mac and cheese