This Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese recipe is so creamy, cheesy, and easy to make. Topped with a crunchy panko breadcrumb topping and baked to golden brown perfection, this recipe is a guaranteed family favorite!
Mac & Cheese
- (1) 16-ounce box elbow pasta
- 2 1/2 cups cashews
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 cup panko or whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F and soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes while you wait.
- Place the cashews, broth, unsweetened almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt into a blender and process until completely smooth creamy.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package to make al dente. The macaroni will cook more in the oven.
- Drain and rinse the pasta and add it to a 9×13 baking dish. Then, pour cheese sauce over the pasta and gently mix making sure the pasta is covered.
- Whisk together the breadcrumbs and smoked paprika in a small mixing bowl and sprinkle over the mac and cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Cook the pasta al dente so it is fairly firm. Remember, it will continue to cook in the oven and overcooked pasta is mushy and gross. Blah!
Be sure and boil or soak the cashews, especially if you don’t have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix. It will also make the cashews extra creamy.
For a thicker sauce, you can add 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch to the cheese sauce when blending.
You can skip the baking if you prefer and simply enjoy the mac and cheese as a stovetop dish.
May use regular whole wheat bread crumbs instead of panko.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: baked vegan mac and cheese, vegan baked mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese cashews, easy vegan mac and cheese