This Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese recipe is so creamy, cheesy, and easy to make. Topped with a crunchy panko breadcrumb topping and baked to golden brown perfection, this recipe is a guaranteed family favorite!
FACT: Mac and cheese is not just “one of” the greatest comfort foods. It’s THE GREATEST! Then, someone had the brilliant idea to add a crunchy topping and bake that bad boy. And, let’s just say things went nuclear on the pleasure scale.
But, then some of us decided to ditch the dairy because we found out it kills you. So, now what?!? “WHAT ABOUT MY CHEESE?” Relax, everything is gonna be ok. This vegan baked mac and cheese will blow your mind. Why? Because it’s awesome!
Delicious elbow pasta covered in a rich and creamy non dairy cheese sauce that will satisfy any cheese lover. And, best of all it’s not just vegan, it’s healthy and whole. There’s no fake crap, no vegan cheese, and no vegan butter. Just simple, wholesome, and all-natural ingredients. Most importantly it is kid-tested and approved. Alright, let’s BAKE!
Ingredients For Vegan Mac And Cheese
- PASTA: Use any whole-grain pasta you like, but I prefer good old macaroni elbow pasta. Shell pasta works too if that’s what you prefer. If you want to make this gluten-free simply use gluten-free pasta.
- RAW CASHEWS: Your cashews need to be raw and unsalted. Boil them for 5 minutes or soak them in hot water for 10-15 minutes. This will ensure they are extra creamy.
- NUTRITIONAL YEAST: This is the cheese essence of the dish. And, it’s also a great source of B-vitamins.
- LIQUID: Low-sodium veggie broth and unsweetened almond milk. You can use water, but I like the texture and flavor these two elements bring to the table.
- SPICES: Onion powder and garlic powder for the depth of flavor.
- LEMON JUICE: The acidic element of the cheese sauce. You can sub apple cider vinegar if you wish.
How To Make Vegan Baked Mac And Cheese
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the directions on the package. This means it will be slightly firm to the touch. But, the pasta will cook more in the oven and you don’t want overcooked pasta.
- Make the cheese sauce by adding all the ingredients to your blender and processing until smooth and creamy.
- Drain and rinse the pasta then add it to a 9×13 casserole dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta, mix it all together, cover with the panko breadcrumbs, and bake it for 15 minutes at 350˚F.
That’s all there is to making the best baked vegan mac and cheese! A deliciously saucy pasta dish with a golden crunchy topping that’s hot, creamy, and so freaking cheesy. And, so unbelievably comforting!
Vegan Baked Mac And Cheese FAQ
You can store leftovers in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
Yes! You can store this vegan mac and cheese in the freezer for up to 3 months in freezer-safe containers.
Yes. Simply use your favorite gluten-free pasta.
Absolutely! Assemble the entire recipe, cover it with aluminum foil, and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days before cooking.
Special Tips & Instructions
- Cook the pasta al dente so it is fairly firm. Remember, it will continue to cook in the oven and overcooked pasta is mushy and gross. Blah!
- Be sure and boil or soak the cashews, especially if you don’t have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix. It will also make the cashews extra creamy.
- For a thicker sauce, you can add 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch to the cheese sauce when blending.
- You can skip the baking if you prefer and simply enjoy the mac and cheese as a stovetop dish.