- 6 medium Yukon gold or white potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups Vegan Cashew Mayonnaise (you’ll need to make a double batch)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika, paprika, fresh or dried dill
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes about ¾″ to 1″, add them to a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Once the water starts to rapidly boil reduce to medium heat and simmer the potatoes for 15-20 minutes. The potatoes should be fork-tender, but not super-soft or mushy like mashed potatoes.
- Prepare the dressing while the potatoes cook by mixing the Cashew Mayonnaise, yellow mustard, celery seed, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain and rinse them under cold water for 30-45 seconds as this will stop them from cooking. Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add in the white vinegar, gently toss, and set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Toss in the chopped celery and the green onions to the potato mixture but don’t mix until you’ve added the dressing. Add the dressing and gently fold it into the potato mixture until everything is well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
- Sprinkle with fresh or dried dill, smoked paprika, or black salt before serving.
Don’t Overcook: You don’t want mushy potatoes. They should be al-dente. Cook them too long and they’ll just turn into a big pile of mush.
Make-Ahead: vegan potato salad is an excellent make-ahead dish so it’s very convenient if you like to meal prep.
This recipe is better the next day so for maximum flavor let it sit in the fridge overnight.
Want lower-fat or have a nut allergy? You can use my tofu sour cream as the base for the dressing.
Don’t rush this recipe. Let the potatoes completely cool before mixing everything together. Rome wasn’t built in a day and potato salad only takes 30 minutes so chill for a few minutes why building your masterpiece.
This vegan potato salad recipe is extremely versatile so get creative. Here are a few of my favorite additions I have used when making this great recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 181.2 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.8 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan potato salad, easy potato salad, creamy vegan potato salad, eggless potato salad, vegetarian potato salad