This vegan enchilada sauce is so flavorful, uses healthy ingredients, and comes together in just 10 minutes. Creamy, oil-free, and plant-based.
- 3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat or any gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Salt and pepper taste
- Mix the flour and spices together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the flour-spice mixture to the pan, and toast for 30-45 seconds and whisk occasionally to prevent burning. The mixture should be slightly aromatic but not smell burnt.
- Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture until it’s well incorporated and lumpy.
- Now, slowly pour in the broth and whisk constantly until everything is well combined and there are no lumps in the sauce. Increase to medium-high heat and cook the enchilada sauce until it starts to slightly bubble. Then, lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Continue cooking the sauce and whisk for 5-6 minutes until the sauce thickens. It should have the consistency of tomato soup or thick tomato sauce.
- Turn off the heat, whisk in the vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over vegan enchiladas, taco bowls, or veggie quesadillas.
Use a gluten-free flour blend to make this gluten-free.
If you prefer a little heat add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper to your spice mix.
This sauce is great on top of taco bowls, rice, and veggies.
Drizzle on top of your guacamole for an incredible party dip!
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 26
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 67.2 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan enchilada sauce, red sauce, easy plant-based recipes, easy vegan recipes, vegan sauces, oil-free recipes