This Easy Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is the best you will ever make! Protein-packed lentils cooked with healthy veggies in a delicious tangy gravy sauce, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked to golden brown perfection. A hearty and wholesome meal that’s the definition of comfort food.
For the mashed potatoes
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Potato Flakes (Instant Mashed Potatoes)
- 2 1/4 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of cold non-dairy milk
Shepherd’s Pie Filling
- 1 cup dry lentils (green or brown)
- 3 cups of water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 yellow medium/large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, and corn)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. A1 Steak Sauce or you can sub in Worcestershire
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make The Mashed Potatoes. Bring the water to boiling in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the non-dairy milk. Add the potato flakes and gently stir, but DO NOT whip. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare The Lentils. Combine the lentils and water or broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Make The Lentil Filling. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes until they’re soft. Then, add the frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes giving them time to defrost and cook a bit.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cooked lentils to the onion and veggie mixture. Gently mix until it’s well combined. Add the garlic powder, smoked paprika, ketchup, soy sauce, steak sauce, liquid smoke, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch or arrowroot powder evenly over the mixture and stir until it’s incorporated into the filling. Continue stirring until it has thickened up just a bit. Usually about 1-2 minutes. It won’t be super thick but will have more of a gravy-consistency. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Assemble The Vegan Shepherd’s Pie. Preheat your oven to 375˚F. Transfer the lentil filling into an oven-safe baking dish and smooth it out. Spoon and carefully spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Place the vegan shepherd’s pie in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn on the broiler, and place the baking dish back in the oven for a few minutes so the top of the potatoes will get brown and crispy.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Top with fresh chives or thyme.
Use only brown or green lentils. Red or yellow lentils get too soft and mushy once they’re cooked.
You can use any combination of vegetables you prefer and fresh rather than frozen as well.
If the Bob’s Red Mill Instant potatoes are beneath you and not cultured enough feel free to use my awesome vegan mashed potatoes. But, trust me, you won’t be able to tell the difference and it’s much easier. Just sayin’…
If using Worcestershire sauce make sure it is vegetarian.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or warm in the oven.
You can either freeze this recipe after assembling and before baking or freeze it once it has been baked. Simply allow it cool completely, wrap it well and place it in the freezer. It will keep for up to 3 months. Once you’re ready to enjoy, let it defrost in the fridge overnight then bake as listed in the instructions, 375°F for 25 minutes.
You can assemble this ahead of time then cook when you are ready to serve. Assemble, cover, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking. When you’re ready to serve, remove the vegan lentil shepherd’s pie from the fridge, uncover, and bake as instructed in the recipe directions.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 222
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 277.5 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan lentil shepherd's pie, vegan shepherd's pie with lentils, vegan cottage pie