This Vegan Squash Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and delicious! A Southern favorite made healthy, low-fat, and ready in about 35 minutes.
- 4 yellow squash cut into medallions (circles)
- 1 onion, chopped or sliced
- (1) 12-ounce box firm or extra firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For The Crust
- 4 WASA crispbreads
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Place the onion and squash into the skillet and toss well. Add 1/2 cup of water, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat halfway through and stir a couple of times to make sure the squash cooks evenly. Start preparing the vegan cheese sauce and crust while the squash cooks.
- To make the cheese sauce place the silken tofu, cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Then, make the crust by adding the ingredients to a food a processor and pulsing until it’s all chopped up. If you don’t have a food processor you can chop the cracker by with a knife and then mix together with the spices in a small bowl.
- Remove the squash from the heat and drain the excess water. Then, add to an 8×8 baking pan, pour in the vegan cheese sauce, and mix well. Sprinkle the crust topping evenly over the casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the vegan squash casserole from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes, and enjoy!
If you don’t have crispbread you can use wholewheat breadcrumbs or panko bread crumbs.
To make this gluten-free simply use gluten-free bread, gluten-free panko bread crumbs, or gluten-free crackers.
Cooking times may vary due to appliance.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan squash casserole, vegan summer squash casserole, yellow squash recipes, organic squash casserole