This Vegan Squash Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and delicious! A Southern favorite made healthy, low-fat, and ready in as little 35 minutes.
Casseroles should be in your meal rotation at least twice a week. And, this one should be at the top of your list. This creamy vegan summer squash casserole is the perfect weeknight meal. And, yes, even your kids love it!
This vegan squash casserole is so easy to make and cooks in 20 minutes after the initial prep. And, because ALL the ingredients are completely whole and plant-based you can rest assured that it IS healthy.
So, if you’ve been looking for vegan summer squash recipes you can stop. This is the only one you’ll need. And, no one would ever guess it’s vegan and good for them. Let’s do it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This Vegan Squash Casserole is simple and made with all-natural ingredients. And, it’s something the entire family will love.
- 4-6 Yellow Squash: Usually comes to about 10 cups when sliced
- Onion: You could leave it out, but I love onion in everything.
- Mori-Nu Silken Tofu: Firm or Extra Firm works best for this
- Raw Cashews: Adds a creaminess when combined with the tofu
- Nutritional Yeast: Great for the cheesy flavor and B-vitamins.
- Lemon Juice & Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, and a little salt
One of my favorite parts of this dish is the crust. Here are the ingredients…
- WASA Crispbread: I love these because they are oil-free. I’ve attached a link for purchase, but these can be found in almost every local grocery store. Use ¾ cup of whole wheat bread crumbs for a sub if needed.
- Italian Seasoning: I buy this premixed but simply, but it’s basically equal amounts of oregano, basil, and parsley.
- Nutritional Yeast: Optional, but I love nooch.
How To Make A Vegan Squash Casserole
(This is an overview. Full amounts are listed in the recipe card below.)
First things first, the prep work. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Place the onion and squash into the skillet and toss well. Add ½ cup of water, cover, and let cook 15 minutes. Reduce the heat halfway through and stir a couple of times to make sure the squash cooks evenly.
- Prepare the vegan cheese sauce and crust while the squash cooks. To make the cheese place the silken tofu, cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Then, make the crust by adding the ingredients to a food a processor and pulsing until it’s all chopped up.
- Remove the squash from the heat and drain the excess water. Then, add to an 8×8 baking pan and pour in the vegan cheese sauce. Top with crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes, and enjoy!
That’s it! Delicious vegan squash casserole that’s perfect as a meal or side dish as well.
You are going to love this Vegan Squash Casserole. It’s…
- Low in fat
- The perfect weeknight meal
- Absolutely delicious
Want More Vegan Casseroles
Be sure and let me know if you try this Vegan Squash Casserole! Leave a comment and rate it below. I want to know what you think. Peace and feast!Print
- 4 yellow squash cut into medallions (circles)
- 1 onion, chopped or sliced
- (1) 12-ounce box firm or extra firm silken tofu
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. salt
For The Crust
- 4 WASA crispbreads
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place a large nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- Place the onion and squash into the skillet and toss well. Add ½ cup of water, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat halfway through and stir a couple of times to make sure the squash cooks evenly. Start preparing the vegan cheese sauce and crust while the squash cooks.
- To make the cheese sauce place the silken tofu, cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and salt in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Then, make the crust by adding the ingredients to a food a processor and pulsing until it’s all chopped up. If you don’t have a food processor you can chop the cracker by with a knife and then mix together with the spices in a small bowl.
- Remove the squash from the heat and drain the excess water. Then, add to an 8×8 baking pan, pour in the vegan cheese sauce, and mix well. Sprinkle the crust topping evenly over the casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the vegan squash casserole from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes, and enjoy!
If you don’t have crispbread you can use wholewheat breadcrumbs or panko bread crumbs.
To make this gluten-free simply use gluten-free bread, gluten-free panko bread crumbs, or gluten-free crackers.
Cooking times may vary due to appliance.
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 208.4 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 9.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan squash casserole, vegan summer squash casserole, yellow squash recipes, organic squash casserole