The perfect vegan Sweet Potato Pie recipe! Made with a homemade gluten-free pie crust and cooked sweet potatoes, it’s sweetened solely with pure maple syrup, lightly spiced, and is a true Southern favorite. Rich, creamy, and absolutely delicious!
- 1 Easy Vegan Pie Crust
- 1 15-ounce can of sweet potato puree or 2 cooked medium sweet potatoes.
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (use only the “meaty” part and discard the liquid)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp of cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Make Easy Vegan Pie Crust: I like to make prepare my pie crust the night before I begin making this pie. It saves time and creates one less step. Simply make according to the directions at the link provided, press into a glass pie dish, and let it set in the fridge overnight.
- When you’re ready to make your pie, preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Make the filling: Place all the vegan sweet potato pie filling ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until everything is completely smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides if necessary. Then, evenly pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. The pie will look loose and wobbly in the center with a few cracks. But, this is normal. It will firm up as it cools.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then, cover and place in the fridge and let it chill for at least 2-4 hours. But, overnight is best.
- Slice and serve as is or with a dollop of coconut Vegan Whipped Cream.
- Cover the leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Sweet Potatoes: If not using the canned sweet potato purée use 2 cooked medium sweet potatoes.
Make-Ahead: This pie is best when it has set in the fridge overnight so it is an excellent pie to make in advance. The flavors are even better on day 2. You can also store it at room temperature as well. Simply cover the pie tightly once it has cooled and let it sit at room temperature until you are ready to serve it the next day.
Freezing Instructions: This pie freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving. You can also prepare the filling and freeze for up to 3 months. Let it thaw at room temperature before using.
If omitting the coconut milk blend all other ingredients until smooth and bake in a 425˚F oven for 15 minutes, then bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for 2 hours or until room temp. Then place in the fridge to set up overnight.
Keywords: vegan sweet potato pie, vegan sweet potato pie coconut milk, holiday recipes, Christmas, vegan holiday recipes