An easy step-by-step recipe for how to make vegan whipped cream with coconut milk! Perfect for topping non-dairy and vegan desserts or fresh berries. Gluten-free and soy-free!
Who doesn’t love a BIG OLE DOLLOP of whipped cream on top of pumpkin pie or hot chocolate? It’s one of those little things that make a big difference in the life of a dessert.
But, you probably thought eating a healthy, oil-free vegan diet meant no toppings for your pie. WRONG!
This dairy-free, refined sugar-free topping is perfect for all your favorite plant-based cakes, cupcakes, and pies. It’s great on top of vegan breakfast dishes like blueberry pancakes, Belgian waffles, and oil-free granola.
This vegan coconut whipped cream recipe is fluffy, smooth, and one of the best dairy-free replacements I’ve found. And, I’m quite certain you’ll agree.
LET’S MAKE IT!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Making your own vegan whipped cream is a lot simpler than you think. And, it’s much healthier than store-bought versions. You only need 3 natural, wholesome ingredients.
- full-fat coconut milk: this will eliminate the need for using added thickeners like guar gum and other ingredients like aquafaba.
- pure maple syrup: one of my favorite vegan sweeteners and much better than refined sugar.
- vanilla extract: for adding an extra depth of flavor.
How To Make Vegan Whipped Cream
Vegan whipped cream is the perfect dairy-free alternative to regular whipped cream. It’s so easy to make your own healthy, dairy-free, vegan-friendly version. You simply use quality full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream! It’s that easy.
How To Make Whipped Cream With Canned Coconut Milk
- Place a 14-ounce can of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight. This allows the coconut milk to harden and separate from the liquid. Don’t use the freezer. 10 minutes before you read to use it place a large mixing bowl in the fridge so it can chill.
- Open the can and spoon out the hardened coconut milk off the top into the chilled bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Be sure and leave any clear liquid in the can. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract to the bowl.
- Beat or whisk the mixture on high until it’s whipped and forms a creamy texture. It should be fairly fluffy and you should see stiff peaks form.
That’s it! This vegan whipped cream recipe could not get any easier. It requires very little time and effort and uses no oil or refined sugar. But, it’s so delicious. I try to keep 2-3 cans in the fridge at all times so I can whip it up in a jiffy.
What To Serve With Vegan Whipped Cream
SO, HAVE YOURSELF A DOLLOP OR TWO…OR THREE!
Tips For Making Perfect Vegan Whipped Cream
- Place the coconut milk in the fridge overnight, NOT in the freezer. Chilling overnight is essential or it won’t harden and will be too soft to whip.
- Use full-fat coconut cream or milk otherwise, it won’t thicken up or froth as well.
- Chill your mixing bowl and mixer attachments for 10 minutes before whipping.
- Use immediately or place in the fridge for 2-3 hours and it will firm up even more.
- Be sure and use quality coconut milk. Dud cans for cheaper brands can be a bit more common, but less so with quality brands. I prefer Thai Kitchen’s organic coconut milk.
Can I Make Vegan Whipped Cream Ahead Of Time?
Yes, absolutely! It’s great for making 2-3 hours ahead of time and storing in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Can I Freeze Vegan Whipped Cream?
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container then place them in the freezer. When you’re ready to use simply set it out on the counter to thaw.
How Long Does Vegan Whipped Cream Last?
It will up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
This Vegan Whipped Cream is dairy free, fluffy, creamy, smooth, vegetarian, naturally sweet, and delicious!Print
- Place the coconut milk in the refrigerator and let it chill overnight. Do not shake or tip the can or the milk may not separate from the water.
- 10 minutes before whipping, chill a large mixing bowl in the refrigerator.
- Remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge and open it without tipping or shaking. You should see that the cream has separated from the water, risen to the top, and hardened.
- Scoop out the hardened cream into your chilled mixing bowl and leave the water in the can. Add the maple syrup and vanilla and whip until everything is fluffy, smooth, and creamy. Usually about 1 minute or so.
- Use it immediately or refrigerate. It will thicken as it sets up in the fridge.
This will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
If your coconut milk doesn’t harden it is more than likely a bad can or dud. Sadly, this does happen on occasion.
Use as a topping on Vegan Pumpkin Pie, Blueberry Pancakes, and delicious Vegan Belgian Waffles.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Category: How To
- Method: Whip
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 45
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 5.5 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan whipped cream, vegan whipped cream recipe, coconut milk whipped cream, dairy-free