The BEST Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich! Served on a toasted baguette and topped with creamy vegan coleslaw for an unbelievable meal. This jackfruit pulled pork recipe is so close to the real thing it’s scary. Smoky, sweet, tender, and absolutely delicious!
Vegan Pulled Pork
- 1 yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 20-ounce cans of jackfruit in brine (Young Green Jackfruit)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce (vegetarian)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of Easy Vegan BBQ Sauce or storebought brand of choice
- 2 French baguettes sliced into slider-size or you can use regular buns if you prefer
Cashew Mayo Coleslaw
Vegan Pulled Pork
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Then, if you wish, cut the pieces in half then remove and discard the core. This is not completely necessary, but it does make for a more tender “pulled pork” texture.
- Preheat a large nonstick sauce pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until the onions are soft. Usually about 5-6 minutes. Toss in the jackfruit, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, low-sodium soy sauce, and vegan worcestershire sauce. Mix until everything is well combined and let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Then, pour in the low-sodium vegetable broth, cover, reduce the heat, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is cooking go ahead and preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- When the jackfruit is done simmering remove the pan from the stove and use a potato masher or large fork to mash and “shred” the jackfruit. Then, use a slotted spoon to transfer the mixture to the baking sheet. Most, if not all, of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Spread the jackfruit pulled pork on the baking sheet, pour 1/2 a cup of the BBQ sauce over the jackfruit and lightly toss with a wooden spoon to mix it. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce over the top of the vegan pulled pork. Spread the sauce evenly over the jackfruit using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Place the jackfruit back in the oven and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- While the jackfruit cooks go ahead and make the slaw. Simply add all of the coleslaw ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss until everything is well combined. Cover and place in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Once the jackfruit is finished cooking remove it from the oven. Place generous amounts of the vegan pulled pork on the bottom piece of bread along with coleslaw and top with extra BBQ sauce if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Leftover jackfruit pulled pork can be stored in the fridge for several days. Simply reheat in a nonstick skillet over low-medium heat or in the microwave.
Nutrition info does not include coleslaw.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan pulled pork, vegan pulled pork jackfruit, vegan jackfruit pulled pork recipe, vegan recipes, plant-based recipes, vegan pulled pork sliders