The BEST Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich! Served on a toasted baguette and topped with creamy vegan coleslaw for an unbelievable meal. This jackfruit pulled pork recipe is so close to the real thing it’s scary. Smoky, sweet, tender, and absolutely delicious!
I’ve been a WFPB vegan for almost 10 years and one question I’m asked most often outside of “Where do you get your protein?” is “Do you miss eating meat?” Honestly, I don’t. The thought of consuming animal flesh is quite disgusting.
That being said, if I’m being completely honest, one thing I did miss was a big messy pulled pork sandwich. Not the meat per se, but the texture. The flavor. And, the way that creamy coleslaw mixed with the bbq sauce and soaked into the bread. Oh…my…goodness!
But, everything changed once I discovered this weird looking thing called jackfruit. And, after experimenting with several different recipes and ways to cook it, I felt as though I had discovered gold.
Folks, if you are looking for a delicious vegan pulled pork recipe this is about as close as you will get to the real thing. It’s freaking amazing and will satisfy the most ardent meat-eaters.
Ready? LET’S GO!
What Kind Of Sandwiches Do Vegans Eat
Good question! With all the vegan meat alternatives and other things, it’s not hard to find a good vegan sandwich. But, I don’t like processed fake meats because they’re usually not any healthier than regular meat. So, I usually try to avoid them as much as possible.
And, as much as I love my veggies piling carrots and cucumbers on top of bread just doesn’t do it for me. I want heartiness, texture, and flavor.
That’s why I LOVE this vegetarian pulled pork. It is sure to satisfy that sandwich craving. But, it’s super low in fat, much healthier than “fake meat”, and it won’t break the bank.
How To Make Vegan Pulled Pork With Jackfruit
This vegan pulled pork is so easy to make. The process is basically…
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit.
- Saute some onions.
- Toss in the jackfruit and cover with spices.
- Simmer in veggie stock.
- Add to a baking sheet and cover in BBQ sauce.
- Cook in a 425-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover with more bbq sauce and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Remove and enjoy!
This vegan jackfruit pulled pork is legit. And, it is sure to fool any carnivore into thinking they’re actually eating pulled pork. Mission accomplished!
What To Serve With Vegan Pulled Pork
Try serving these amazing sides with this incredible dish and watch everyone go crazy!
- Easy Vegan BBQ Baked Beans
- The Best Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 5-Minute Fat Free Microwave Potato Chips
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Why coleslaw on top of vegan pulled pork? Because you just do. That’s why.
Honestly, it adds an extra level of flavor and texture and just takes it to the next level. And, if you’re someone who likes to add a bit of heat to their BBQ the coleslaw tends to help it calm it down a bit.
Jackfruit Pulled Pork Tips
- Be sure and buy canned Jackfruit packed in brine and labeled as “Young Green Jackfruit” or “unripe”. Some are packed in syrup and you want to avoid those.
- Don’t be afraid to let the jackfruit pulled pork overcook just a bit in the oven. I tend to let mine cook until the ends get a little burnt and crisp. To me, it enhances the flavor and creates that pulled pork texture.
- If you don’t like sandwiches this makes awesome barbacoa tacos and salads. Experiment!
- Want to make it gluten free? Easy. Just use gluten free buns or wraps. Problem solved.
If you are a former BBQ lover then you are going to LOVE this Vegan Pulled Pork recipe! It’s…
- A great meat substitute
- Super tasty
- & Insanely delicious
The best thing about this sandwich, apart from the taste, is how simple it is to make. No matter you’re level of kitchen expertise you’ll have no problem whipping this up.
And once you serve this to your friends and family it’ll be fun to watch their expressions. You’re sure to be the family favorite for years to come.Print
Save this recipe and PIN IT HERE!