Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect side dish for any fall or winter holiday meal. Made with just 2 ingredients and ready in 15 minutes, they’re simple, healthy, and super delicious! This sweet potato mash recipe is a great base for making sweet or savory mashed sweet potatoes. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes (5-6 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Sweet Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-2″ chunks and bring a large pot of 4-6 cups of water to a boil.
- Using tongs, carefully place potatoes in the boiling water. Reduce the heat to medium and then cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes in a colander and place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the non-dairy milk and mash potatoes until you reach the right consistency.
- Add other desired ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
Nutrition info is only for sweet potatoes and non-dairy milk.
Warm spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or pumpkin pie spice with a little maple syrup and orange zest are perfect for creating sweeter mashed potatoes. And, will just about satisfy any sweet tooth.
If you prefer a more savory flavor add vegan parmesan cheese, thyme, sage, paprika, with some salt and black pepper is absolutely amazing. A scoop of vegan sour cream is a great addition. It adds a tanginess and amazing depth of flavor to this version.
Steam: Place a steamer basket or colander in a large pot or dutch oven. Add water until it reaches 1 inch below the bottom of the basket. Place the sweet potatoes in the steamer basket and bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium and allow the potatoes to steam until you can insert a paring knife and there’s no resistance, about 30 minutes.
Instant Pot: An electric pressure cooker is a quicker method. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1″ chunks, add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, lock the lid, select high pressure, press manual, and set the timer for 10 minutes. Once they’re done release the pressure then mash the potatoes. Done.
Roast: This method takes a lot of time and is not my preferred choice. But, if you must…cut the sweet potatoes into small pieces, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and roast in a 425˚F preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Again, the potatoes should be easily pierced with a knife or fork with no resistance.
Hand Mixer or Electric Mixer: Perfect for making creamy potatoes.
Food Processor: This will give you super-smooth potatoes. But, over-processing will give you a more gummy consistency.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 90.9 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan mashed sweet potatoes, holiday recipes, sweet potatoes recipe, healthy, gluten-free, vegan, plant-based, vegan fall recipes, sweet potato casserole