Savory, smoky, crispy and delicious bacon bits made from TVP. These are the perfect topping for salads, baked potatoes with my Cashew Sour Cream, or simply eat by the handful.
- 1/2 cup TVP
- 2 tbsp. low sodium tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt to taste (but it’s not really necessary)
- Place all ingredients, EXCEPT FOR TVP, in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and add TVP. Stir until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread bacon bits out evenly on baking sheet and place in oven. Cook for just a couple minutes then shake so the bacon bits will cook evenly. Repeat until the bacon bits are crispy, but be careful not to burn.
*Baking is not necessary, it just depends on how crunchy you want them.
- Category: Toppings
- Cuisine: Vegan