- 4–5 large bell peppers any color
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added or low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F˚.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Trim the bell peppers about 1/2 inch from the top and clean out the stem and seeds of the peppers.
- Place the peppers in the water and cook for 3-4 minutes until the peppers soften. Remove the peppers from the water, place cut side up, and let the peppers cool.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is ready add the chopped onions and cook them until they are soft and slightly brown. Usually about 4-5 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic, chipotle peppers, frozen corn, and black beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes then pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, brown rice, and cilantro to the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Arrange the peppers in an 8×8 baking dish and evenly fill with the rice mixture. Place the peppers in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the from the oven, sprinkle the crushed tortilla chips over each peppers, and drizzle with either Cashew Queso or Vegan Cheese Sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegetarian, vegan, stuffed bell peppers, mexican, low-fat, vegetarian stuffed bell peppers