This is the best Vegan Apple Crisp and it’s so easy to make. Made in 1 bowl using simple wholesome ingredients! Delicious and tender caramelized apples under a crunchy sweet, oat-nut topping. It’s the perfect Fall dessert.
I love Fall! That’s no big secret. The cool crisp air, falling leaves, flannel shirts, and outdoor fire pits with friends and family make me happy. But, and I think it goes without saying, I LOVE THE FOOD! Fall means enjoying some of the most deliciously warm and comforting recipes. And, one of my favorites to make and partake of this time of year is hot Vegan Apple Crisp!
This recipe originally started out as my attempt to make a healthy apple pie. Uh, let’s just say it didn’t work out. Long story short, I dumped everything into one big bowl and it was surprisingly good. So, with a few tweaks here and there this delicious vegan apple crisp was born.
I’m excited to share this “mistake” with you. It’s the perfect dessert for fall and winter and will make you a rock star at family and holiday gatherings. Apple Pie, who? Yeah, I said it! Let’s make it.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This vegan apple crisp recipe is so easy to make. All you need are simple wholesome ingredients, you probably already have on hand, and just 1 bowl. Everything is combined and then baked into a delicious Fall dessert.
Here’s everything you need for this vegan apple crisp recipe, including ingredient substitutions:
- Apples: I like using Granny Smith and Honeycrisp. A good blend of tart and sweet.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: can sub with a mix of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg or just use cinnamon.
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Cornstarch: to thicken the filling. You can also sub arrowroot or tapioca flour as well.
- Old-Fashioned Oats: organic is best. Steel-cut and quick-cooking are not optimal.
- Flour: I used a mixture of almond flour and whole wheat pastry flour. You can use a gluten-free baking flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Sweeteners: sugars and sweeteners are full of empty calories. But, they do have a time and a place in a WFPB diet. And, that time and place should be dessert.
- Chopped Nuts: pecan and walnuts are my favorite. But, they can be omitted if you have a nut allergy. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin are good subs.
- Spice: either pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon are great options
- Unsweetened Applesauce: replaces the butter and oil as usually found in this type of recipe.
How To Make Vegan Apple Crisp
(Note – the full printable recipe is at the bottom of post)
Be prepared. You’re going to want to make this at least once a week. Yeah, it’s that good.
- Start With The Filling: Peel and cut the apples into small cubes or thin slices. Then, toss into a large mixing and cover with the remaining filling ingredients. Toss and make sure everything is well covered and combined. Then, dump into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Make The Topping: Rinse your mixing bowl and add the topping ingredients. Stir everything together and use your hands, if necessary, to break apart any large chunks that stick together.
- Spread & Bake: Pour the topping over the filling and use your hands or a wooden spoon to evenly spread the mixture. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the top golden, the filling is bubbling, and the apples are tender.
Questions & Helpful Tips
Granny Smith and Honeycrisp are my favorites. It’s a great balance of tart and sweet. And, these apples hold up really well to baking and won’t turn to mush.
This delicious Fall dessert is great all by itself. But, it pairs perfectly with a huge scoop of healthy homemade nice-cream.
Use organic gluten-free oats and gluten-free baking flour. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour is excellent.
Yes! And, you can do it before or after baking it. It will keep for up to 3 months in your freezer. When you’re ready to serve simply place it in a low-temperature oven until it’s warm all the way through.
Vegan apple crisp is great to make ahead of time and store in case of unexpected guests, busy nights, and special gatherings.
Peeps, trust me when I tell you this is the best Vegan Apple Crisp. It’s…
- Easy to prepare and make
- Crunchy & perfectly sweet
- Warm and comforting
- Perfect for fall & the holidays
- SO DELICIOUS!
So, let me wrap this up. The filling is amazing! Decadent caramelized apples covered in autumn spices and baked until perfectly tender. And, the TOPPING! There are no words, but I’ll try. Healthy old-fashioned oats, almond flour, chopped walnuts, and pecans are spiced and sweetened then baked to crunchy perfection. Get the picture?
I guess you’ll just have to make, taste, and see for yourself. Trust me, it’s going to be one amazing flavor experience. And, if you like apples try my Instant Pot Apple Butter and super simple Apple Walnut Salad. I love you all!
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
- Easy Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Dessert Hummus
The best Vegan Apple Crisp is easy to make using simple wholesome ingredients and just 1 bowl! Tender, caramelized apples under a crunchy sweet, oat-nut topping. It’s the perfect Fall dessert.
- 4 medium/large Granny Smith apples (green)
- 4 medium/large Honeycrisp apples
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch (for thickening)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and begin preparing the filling.
- Peel and cut the apples into small cubes. Then, add to a large mixing and cover with the remaining filling ingredients. Toss and make sure everything is well combined and covered. Pour into a 9×13 nonstick baking dish or one lined with parchment paper.
- Rinse out your mixing bowl and add the topping ingredients. Stir everything together and use your hands, if necessary, to break apart any large chunks that stick together.
- Pour the topping over the filling and use your hands or a wooden spoon to evenly spread the mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes to 1 hour until the top is golden, the filling is bubbling, and the apples are tender.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free oats and sub the flour for gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Flour.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan apple crisp, vegan apple crumble, vegan apple crisp recipe, apple crumble, apple crips