Delicious, rich, and creamy Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn recipe. Plant-based, vegan, low-fat, and ready in as little as 20 minutes.
Fall is fast approaching and I’m super excited. Why? Well, there’s a couple reasons. One, I just love Fall. And, two: HOMEMADE VEGAN CREAMED CORN! Man, do I love creamed corn! No, you don’t understand. I..LOVE…CREAMED…CORN! We clear?
Now, let’s get it on!
Cream style corn is a classic here in the south. But, it’s also one of the reasons this part of the country is obese and has diabetes. Classic creamed corn is usually loaded with butter, heavy cream, and tons of sugar. So, it’s basically a heart attack waiting to happen.
But, I’m not gonna lie to you. It’s one of the things I missed most after switching to a whole foods, plant-based diet. And, I really couldn’t find a vegan recipe that was any better. Most were still high in fat, made with processed sugar and loaded with crap.
But, I knew there had to be a better way. So, after a little trial and error I present to you: Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn. It’s completely dairy-free, extremely low in fat, thick, rich and absolutely delicious.
How Do You Make Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn?
How’d I do it? It’s actually pretty simple.
First, you want to make sure you use sweet corn. Yes, there is actually sweet corn. So, be sure and read the package.
I wanted to keep it low in fat so in place of heavy cream or coconut milk I used unsweetened almond milk. But, I had to figure out how to make it thick and “creamy.” So, to achieve that I added 2 Tbsp. of ground flax seed. Then, part way through the cooking I use a blender to puree half the recipe. And, I simply pour the puree back into the pan and voila – Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn.
There’s also a couple other ingredients you don’t normally find in a creamed corn recipe. GARLIC AND ONIONS! I know it sounds strange, but it works so well. They come together and add just enough savoriness without getting in the way of the sweetness. Trust me on this.
Oh, and to make it sweet? No, I didn’t go crazy using processed sugar like most recipes. I decided to use a little maple syrup so you can adjust it as you go. Remember, you’re using sweet corn so no need to go crazy. HINT: Always start with less syrup and build.
And, there you have it! Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn.
Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn
Despite the fact this recipe uses no butter or heavy cream at all, I promise you won’t miss it. This Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn is sure to satisfy the most die-hard southerner and you. Because it’s…
- A little savory
- A perfect Fall recipe
- Super simple to make
- & freaking delicious!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know! Be sure and leave a comment below with a STAR rating. And, share a picture by tagging me on Instagram and use the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!Print
Rich and creamy Homemade Vegan Creamed Corn recipe. Plant-based, vegan, low-fat, and ready in as little 20 minutes.
- 2 lbs. frozen sweet corn (32-oz. bag or 2 16-oz. bags)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk or plant-milk of choice
- ½ medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- salt (adjust to taste)
- black pepper (adjust to taste)
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and sautee onions and garlic until the onions are soft. Add a couple tablespoons of water to pan in order to prevent sticking if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium, add corn, and cook for 8-10 minutes. You want to make sure the corn is completely thawed and hot.
- Add the almond milk, flax, remaining seasonings and stir gently to combine. Let cook for 5-6 minutes after stirring.
- Depending on how thick you want it, transfer ⅓ to ½ of the corn mixture in the skillet to your food processor or blender and blend until fairly smooth. Pour this mixture back into the skillet with the whole corn kernels and heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
This recipe was shared at the Weekend Potluck!