This delicious vegan chickpea kale salad recipe is so easy to make and ready in 20 minutes. It’s made with spicy chipotle chickpeas, kale, avocado, and topped with a creamy garlicky tahini dressing.
We all struggle to get enough greens into our diet. Why? Because we think salads are boring. Am I right? Well, not anymore. This spicy garbanzo bean kale salad is a masterpiece of flavor.
Ladies, even picky husbands who think eating plants isn’t manly will like this. But, be sure and tell him to put on his “big boy” pants. It’s got a bit of a kick.
Spicy chipotle chickpeas, healthy kale, and a creamy lemon tahini dressing make this one of my favorite meals. This Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad with tahini dressing is a great way to start the week. It’s healthy, hearty, spicy, and absolutely delicious!
Let’s get our green on!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad is so simple. You only need a few ingredients. But, the flavor is absolutely amazing.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans): Many recipes call for roasted chickpeas, but cooking them in a skillet tastes just as good and cuts the cooking time in half. Also, remember to use low sodium or no salt added chickpeas if possible.
- Spices: Soy sauce, chipotle chickpea powder, garlic powder, and onion powder bring these chickpeas to life. Simple, but profound.
- Chopped Kale: I buy this in bags that are already prechopped. It saves time and it’s great when you need something quick.
- Avocado: You need ½ of an avocado. We’re actually “massaging” the kale with it. It helps to soften the kale and adds an extra layer of creaminess to the salad.
- Lemon: This is optional, but I love squeezing a bit of lemon over the top of this vegan kale salad. It just makes it bright and electric.
- Garlicky Lemon Tahini Dressing: This dressing is just my simple mixture of tahini, lemon, and a couple of spices.
How To Make Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad
- Prepare the dressing by combining the tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt in bowl and whisking until it’s smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick feel free to add a little water and whisk again. Then, slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Set both aside.
- Cook the chickpeas in a preheated skillet with soy sauce, chipotle chili powder, and garlic powder. Then, set aside.
- Add the kale to a large platter or salad bowl. Dice the avocado and massage it into the kale by hand for 30-45 seconds. This will tenderize the kale and make sure all the leaves are coated with the avocado. Then, squeeze the lemon evenly over the kale and give a quick toss.
- Finally, top with the cherry tomatoes and tahini dressing. Then, simply toss the salad so that everything mixes together.
That’s it! One of the most delicious garbanzo bean and kale salads…EVER!
Pro Tips & Questions
- You can use mixed greens or spinach in place of kale
- Use regular chili powder and smoked paprika instead of chipotle chili powder when cooking the chickpeas to make this less spicy
- Buy the kale prechopped if you like to meal prep. It makes the process go much faster.
How Do I Meal Prep This?
Don’t mix all of this together and then store it because it’ll get all soggy. If you like to meal prep simply cook the chickpeas and make the tahini dressing ahead of time. Then, store them until you’re ready to make the salad. When you’re ready to assemble your salad just combine, toss, and go!
You will love this Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing. It’s…
- Full of flavor
- Rich in protein and fiber
- Absolutely delicious!
More Amazing Vegan Salad Recipes
Be sure and let me know if you try this chipotle chickpea kale salad recipe! Leave a comment and rate it below. I want to know what you think. Peace and feast!Print
This delicious vegan chickpea kale salad is so easy to make and ready in 20 minutes. It’s made with spicy chipotle chickpeas, kale, avocado, and topped with a creamy garlicky tahini dressing.
- ½ cup SoCo Tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- (2) 15-ounce can low sodium or no salt added chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp. low sodium soy or tamari sauce
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder. (If you want it hotter add more. Less hot, not so much.)
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 5 cups loosely packed chopped kale
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Prepare the tahini dressing, slice the tomatoes, and then set aside.
Make The Chickpeas
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- While the pan is heating, drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas, soy sauce, and all spices. Mix well until the chickpeas are completely coated. Cook until moisture has disappeared from the pan, usually a couple of minutes.
- Set aside.
Assemble Chipotle Chickpea Kale Salad
- Add the kale to a large platter or salad bowl. Dice the avocado and massage into the kale by hand for 30-45 seconds. This will tenderize the kale and make sure all the leaves are coated with the avocado. Then, squeeze the juice from the lemon evenly over the kale and give a quick toss.
- Top with the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, and tahini dressing. Toss well to coat. Serve immediately.
- This salad can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days but is best when enjoyed right away.
- Category: Salads & Dressings
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: garbanzo bean kale salad, chopped kale salad, vegan kale salad, chickpea kale salad, chipotle chickpea kale salad, chickpea and kale salad, chickpea and kale salad recipe