Learn how to make oat milk at home with only 2 ingredients. It’s so easy and ready in less than 5 minutes. It’s creamy, nutritious, and so good. Homemade oat milk is great for baking, your morning coffee, cereal, and more!
Oat milk is super popular and it’s also easy to make because you don’t need any special tools or ingredients. This is one of the creamiest dairy-free milks and it’s excellent if you have nut allergies.
Store-bought oat milk is usually full of sugar and other chemicals. So, by making it at home, you can rest assured your milk contains only natural and healthy ingredients. It’s also much more affordable.
Ready? Let’s make it!
How To Make Oat Milk
Making your own homemade oat milk is simple and requires just a couple of ingredients. Here’s how you do it:
- Blend: First, add the oats and ice-cold filtered water to a powerful blender and process for 30 seconds. The water should turn to a “milky” white. DO NOT over-blend.
- Strain & Strain Again: Place a cheesecloth, nut milk bag, or fine mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl and pour the oat milk through it. DO NOT PRESS OR SQUEEZE the pulp because it will make the milk slimy and gritty. Simply discard any leftover pulp and liquid that does not seep through. Then, strain once more.
- Enjoy! Chill in the fridge until you are ready to consume or use it.
How To Use Oatmilk
Use oat milk just as you would any other milk. You can enjoy it chilled in a nice tall glass, add it to your coffee, or even make your own vegan buttermilk with it.
WHAT TYPE OF OATS SHOULD I USE FOR OAT MILK?
Always use old-fashioned rolled oats. Quick oats and steel-cut oats will not work and would be really slimy. Yuck!
Be sure and use certified organic oats. Non-organic oats have been tested to have unsafe levels of glyphosate, an herbicide you want to avoid.
- Use ice-cold water: heat can make the oats gummy and slimy (just think oatmeal). Use ice water or simply add a few ice cubes to the blender.
- You don’t need to shake it. You can if you want, but I like to let the pulp settle to the bottom and enjoy all the creamy milk off the top.
- Squeeze and press the mixture as little as possible. It will end up gritty and slimy.
- Sweeten it. Add 1-2 Medjool dates or maple syrup if you like your milk sweet. You can also add 1 tsp. of vanilla to flavor it as well. But, unsweetened oat milk is the most versatile.
- Because it has a very oat-y flavor, it works best in savory recipes.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
How Long Will Oat Milk Keep?
You can store oat milk in a glass milk bottle or airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.Print