This Marinated Tofu recipe is so easy and absolutely delicious! It’s high in protein, low in fat, and requires just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes. A simple recipe that’s sure to make you a tofu fan for life.
Tofu is always getting a bad rap. And, many who speak ill of it have never tried it or simply fail to educate themselves about it and how to use it. But, I’m about to show you the BEST tofu recipe EVER!
This marinated tofu is so simple and has the best flavor! You can toss it into your salad for added protein, pile it high on a sandwich with some of my Cashew Mayo, or simply serve it over rice with some steamed veggies. The possibilities are endless.
Let me show you!
Pressing Your Tofu
When you buy tofu it’s packed in water. So, you’re going to want to press it when making baked tofu. But, you can also purchase super firm tofu which is vacuum-sealed and not packed in water. The super firm is my personal choice for this and other meatier recipes.
The easiest thing to do is buy a tofu press. It’s very easy to use and inexpensive. If you don’t have a tofu press it’s still easy to do. All you need to do is wrap your tofu in a clean dish towel, set it on a cutting board or plate, set another plate on top, and place something heavy on top. A cast-iron skillet, books, or canned goods work really well.
This is going to get rid of most of the excess water and only takes about 15-20 minutes. I also like to set mine in the fridge overnight. But, it’s not necessary.
How To Make Marinated Tofu
I think this is the easiest and most delicious tofu recipe you will make. The marinade is so simple but full of flavor. A little maple syrup, soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic. That’s it.
- Once your tofu is pressed slice it into 3/4″ equal pieces
- Mix up the marinade and pour it into a container or freezer bag along with the tofu slices.
- Place the tofu in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. But, for maximum flavor, I like to let it rest overnight.
How To Cook Marinated Tofu
Grill It: Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium heat, add the tofu to the pan, and cook for about 3 minutes per side or until the tofu has browned and charred a bit. Save the leftover marinade and drizzle over the tofu as it cooks.
Bake It: If you don’t have a grill pan you can very easily bake the marinated tofu. Preheat your oven to 375˚F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, bake the tofu for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes. You can also baste the tofu with the leftover marinade as it bakes.
How To Serve
- Make a delicious sandwich by laying this tofu on some whole grain bread with pickled veggies and cashew mayo.
- Serve it over Instant Pot Brown Rice with some steamed veggies with this delicious peanut sauce.
- Chop it up, stuff it in some tortillas, then top with cashew sour cream to make some delicious tacos.
How To Store & Freeze
Fridge: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
Freeze It: Place the tofu in the marinade then store it in the freezer. Once you’re ready to cook the tofu simply let it thaw in the fridge and prepare as instructed.
Can I Make It Ahead Of Time
This is a great recipe for making ahead of time. Let the tofu soak in the marinade for a couple of days then cook.
Check out more delicious tofu recipes!
Although tofu is usually seen as a vegan meat replacement it’s super versatile Check out these delicious recipes.
- Tofu Bacon
- The Best Vegan Frittata
- Crispy Blackened Tofu
- Vegan French Toast Casserole
- Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Vegan Tofu Sour Cream
If you make this recipe I want to know. So, please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!Print
This Marinated Tofu recipe is so easy and absolutely delicious! It’s high in protein, low in fat, and requires just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes. A simple recipe that’s sure to make you a tofu fan for life
- Drain tofu and press for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Use a tofu press or wrap in a cloth and set something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, and set aside while tofu is being pressed.
- Slice the tofu into eight 3/4″ strips and place in an airtight container or large freezer bag. Pour the marinade over the tofu, seal the container, and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes. But, allowing it to sit overnight is best and will give you maximum flavor.
- Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium heat, add the tofu to the pan, and cook for about 3 minutes per side or until the tofu has browned and charred a bit.
- Remove from pan and enjoy! It goes great on sandwiches or served with rice.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: marinated tofu, marinated tofu baked, marinated tofu recipe, marinated tofu grilled