Tempeh: it’s kind of like the awkward second cousin of tofu.
What exactly is tempeh? It’s fermented whole soybeans, packed with protein and it’s been around a long time. I know it doesn’t sound so exciting right now, but we ’bout to take it up a notch and make some Smoky Maple Tempeh Bacon.
Before you even ask…NO, it’s not just like eating bacon! But, is it smoky, savory, sweet and have an aroma that will make your mouth water? Oh, yes!
And, as an added bonus, this bacon won’t clog your arteries and eventually kill you.
You might be asking yourself, “What the hell am I going to do with tempeh bacon?” Well, you could eat it directly off the pan before your kids swoop in like vultures and devour it.
Be sure and let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, take a picture, post it on Instagram and tag the photo #shaneandsimple so I can see your dish. If you want to be kept up to speed on all that’s going down with Shane & Simple and my latest recipes SUBSCRIBE HERE!
Smoky maple tempeh bacon is absolutely delicious and super easy to prepare. Pile it high in sandwiches, on top of salads, or anywhere you’d normally put bacon.
- Add all marinade ingredients into a small bowl and mix well to combine. Then, pour into a container large enough that marinade and tempeh will just fit. Not too large, not too small.
- Carefully slice the tempeh into thin strips and place in the marinade, and make sure each piece is coated. Marinate for at least 20 minutes. If you can wait, let marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.
- Layout tempeh on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip over, evenly pour the remaining marinade on the tempeh. Place tempeh back in oven and cook for another 15 minutes or until most of the marinade has evaporated. Cooking time will depend on oven.
Tempeh can have a somewhat “bitter” flavor to it, which I like. But, if you want a milder tempeh you can simply boil or steam it for about 10-15 minutes. Mellows it out.
- Serving Size: 2 strips
- Calories: 63
- Sugar: 2.6
- Sodium: 293
- Fat: 2.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 5.8
- Fiber: 0.2
- Protein: 5.1
- Cholesterol: 0