This is the BEST homemade hummus recipe. It’s smooth, creamy, and healthier than what you buy in the store. Perfect for parties, a snack, and as a spread on your favorite sandwich or wrap.
The biggest complaint I often hear about homemade hummus is the lumpiness. “It’s not smooth and creamy like the store-bought brands.” You know why? Because those brands have really big machines and load their hummus up with lots of crap to get it that way.
So, in order to “stick it to the man”, I’ve worked my butt off trying to come up with a hummus recipe that is simple, healthy, smooth, creamy and yes, DELICIOUS! I’d like to think I succeeded. But, you can be the judge.
There are no secret ingredients in hummus. But, I have learned what makes homemade hummus smooth and creamy is the process.
So, while this post is a bit long, I want you to be informed, happy and not spend your money on some overpriced, over-processed chickpeas.
How To Make Homemade Hummus
First things first, don’t spend time chopping your garlic and risk losing a finger. Throw it in the food processor and let it do all the work. Remember, this is Shane & Simple.
Not, “Shane & Complicated” or “Shane & Gifted” or “Shane & I must be a hero so my wife will think I’m awesome at everything.”
Next, add your lemon juice and tahini and blend until you get a paste.
Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the food processor after blending for 30-45 seconds. Go ahead and prepare yourself because you’re going to be doing a lot of stopping and scraping.
You’re also going to add your cumin at this point and process a bit more.
Pour in one can of your chickpeas and process until smooth. Yes, once again stop and scrape everything and add your second can of chickpeas along with your soy sauce, vinegar, and salt if you’re using any. And, start blending!
At this point, just stand back and allow the food processor to do all the work. You may want to add some of the reserve chickpea juice until you get you’re desired consistency. I tend to like a “thicker” hummus.
And, there you have it! The BEST Creamy Smooth Oil-Free Homemade Hummus recipe. The results are nothing short of amazing, if I do say so myself. AND, NO OIL!
If you like hummus you’ll love this recipe because it’s…
- EASY TO MAKE
So, maybe you like hummus but want to do something a little more creative with your chickpeas. Well, you’re in luck. Check out my Chipotle Chickpea Tacos or Chocolate Peanut Butter Hummus. I’m sure you’ll find something that tickles your fancy.
Be sure and let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, take a picture, post it on Instagram and tag the photo #shaneandsimple so I can see your dish. If you want to be kept up to speed on all that’s going down with Shane & Simple and my latest recipes – SUBSCRIBE HERE!Print
Smooth and creamy hummus that’s better and healthier than what you buy in the store. And, you don’t need oil! Creamy smooth oil-free homemade hummus with all the flavor and none of the guilt.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Throw garlic into food processor and chop it up pretty fine.
- Scrape down garlic bits, add lemon juice and tahini to food processor and blend 30-45 seconds until it begins to form a paste. Stop to scrape down sides and bottom of food processor and blend for another 30 seconds. You want the paste to be smooth and creamy.
- Once the tahini paste is smooth and creamy, scrape down the sides and the bottom once more, add cumin and process for about 30 seconds.
- Once again, scrape the side and bottom of the food processor and add 1 can of chickpeas and blend for 30-45 seconds. Stop to scrape down the sides and bottom of food processor. Pour in second can of chickpeas, soy sauce, and vinegar and blend for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides and bottom if necessary, until it creates a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp. of reserve chickpea liquid for desired consistency and blend or another minute or until the hummus is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon onto a plate or in a bowl, sprinkle the top with paprika or smoked paprika, and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg