This Vegan Minestrone Soup recipe is so easy to make and absolutely delicious. A lively Italian soup that’s loaded with vegetables, pasta, kidney beans, and cooked in a savory tomato broth. And, all in ONE POT! It’s hearty, filling, and full of flavor.
There’s no shortage of soup recipes during the colder months. But, my favorite to make every winter, especially during the Christmas season, is vegetarian minestrone. It’s insanely healthy, very filling, and it feeds a lot of people on the cheap.
So, what exactly is minestrone? Answer: whatever you want it to be. There is no set recipe for minestrone because it’s usually made with whatever vegetables you have on hand and then you throw some pasta in it. Yes, that’s right. Pasta.
When I make minestrone I like to keep it very simple. I prefer using canned beans, frozen green beans, a can of diced tomatoes. Why canned and frozen ingredients? BECAUSE IT’S EASY!
So, let’s get started.
How To Make Vegan Minestrone Soup
This vegan minestrone soup is so simple to make.
Start by preheating a large pot over medium heat and once it’s ready just toss in your chopped veggies along with the Italian seasoning. FYI, I just got a Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven and LOVE IT!
Stir it all together and cook until the onions are soft. This usually takes about 5-6 minutes.
Next, toss the frozen green beans and red kidney beans into the onion mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
NOTE: Feel free to us cannellini beans if you like. I simply prefer kidney beans.
Let the vegan minestrone soup come to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Then, add the pasta and cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is soft.
Finally, add the chopped kale and stir it into the soup. The kale will wilt in about a minute. Taste and adjust any seasonings as you desire.
That’s it! A wonderful soup that will fill you up and give you plenty of leftovers.
Can I Make Minestrone In An Instant Pot
Yes! Set the Instant Pot to “saute” and once it’s hot, add the chopped onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, celery, carrots. Cook until the onions are soft.
Turn off the Instant Pot and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the kale, and give everything a quick stir. Lock the lid and cook on “High Pressure” for 4 minutes. Once the timer goes off let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure.
Unlock the lid and add the kale. Give it quick a stir and let the soup sit until kale begins to wilt, usually about 1 minute.
Season with to taste with salt and pepper. Serve!
What Are Some Good Side Dishes For Minestrone Soup
Does Minestrone Freeze Well?
Yes! You can prepare the soup and store it in mason jars. But, leave about 1-2″ at the top. Liquid expands when frozen so this will provide room for that.
If you have any leftovers just cover and store in the fridge for up to a week.
You are going to love this Vegan Minestrone Soup. It’s…
- Oil Free
- Easy to make
- & Delicious
This Vegan Minestrone Soup recipe is so easy to make and absolutely delicious. A healthy Italian soup that’s loaded with vegetables, pasta, kidney beans, and cooked in a savory tomato broth. It’s healthy, filling, and full of flavor.
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (can also sub 1 Tbsp garlic powder)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cut frozen green beans
- 2 cans low-sodium or no salt added red kidney beans
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (plain are fine as well)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1–2 cups water (or as needed to cover ingredients)
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1–2 cups of pasta shells or macaroni pasta (I prefer 2 becasue I like more pasta)
- 2 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is ready add the chopped onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, celery, carrots and sauté until the onions are soft. Usually about 5-6 minutes.
- Then, add the green beans and and kidney beans and toss with the everything until well combined.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, veggie stock, water, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Let the minestrone soup come to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is soft.
- Finally, add the chopped kale, stir, and mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set the Instant Pot to “saute” and once it’s hot, add the chopped onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, celery, and carrots. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add all the remaining ingredients, except for the kale, and give a quick stir. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Once the timer goes off let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure.
- Unlock the lid and add the kale. Give it a stir and let sit until the kale begins to wilt, usually about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Use gluten free pasta and tamari sauce to make this dish gluten-free.
- Category: One Bowl
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegetarian minestrone soup, vegan minestrone soup, soup recipes, vegan, healthy, holiday, Christmas, winter, one pot