Healthy breakfast sweet potato with tahini and non-dairy chocolate chips is delicious and so easy to make. A hearty breakfast requiring just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes, this recipe is sure to be a family favorite. Vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free!
Most of you know breakfast is my favorite meal. There’s nothing like waking up first thing on a Sunday morning and enjoying a hearty breakfast. But, a few weeks ago things got even better. I found this recipe by Brita at Food With Feeling – a Loaded Breakfast Sweet Potato.
Oh…my…gosh! There are no words to describe the experience. I was already in love with sweet potatoes, but this turned it into an obsession. And, nothing wrong with that. They’re incredibly healthy, naturally sweetened, delicious, and way more versatile than I could have imagined.
So, I took my inspiration from Brita’s recipe and decided to experiment with some of my favorite flavors. And, the result was this tahini and chocolate chip breakfast sweet potato recipe. I know it sounds crazy but these flavors are amazing together.
This is now, hands down, my favorite sweet potato recipe. But, I think you should also check out these: Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole, Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili, or Vegan Sweet Potato Pie. I like just throwing a sweet potato in the microwave for a quick snack.
Ok, back to the task at hand, Let’s cook!
Ingredients You’ll Need
All you need are 3 simple ingredients for this incredible sweet potato recipe.
- Sweet Potato: sweet potatoes are extremely healthy. They’re loaded with Vitamin C and a great option for those watching their blood sugar.
- Tahini: made from toasted, ground sesame seeds with a light, earthy, nutty flavor, it also has some major health benefits and is a great source of healthy fats.
- Chocolate Chips: because chocolate. I use Enjoy Life mini chips.
How To Make Healthy Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
These delicious breakfast sweet potatoes are so easy to make. And, there are a couple of different ways to make them.
- Microwave: This is my favorite way. It’s also the fastest and easiest way to cook the sweet potato. You simply wash the sweet potato, poke holes in it, place it on a microwave-safe plate or wrap it in a paper towel, and cook for 5 minutes rotating halfway through. The potato is done when you can easily pierce it with a fork and the center is soft and tender.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 400˚F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, poke holes in the sweet potato, and bake for 45-50 minutes. The potato is done when you can easily pierce it with a fork and the center is soft and tender.
This breakfast sweet potato recipe is a great option when you have a long day ahead and you need something filling and satisfying. It can be ready in 5 minutes if you choose to cook it in the microwave. So, no excuse for skipping breakfast.
More Topping Suggestions & Substitutions
Tahini not your thing? Can’t do chocolate for breakfast? Here are some other topping suggestions you should try:
- Natural peanut butter or almond butter
- Chia Seeds: An excellent source of Omega 3’s
- Fresh Fruit: bananas and strawberries are excellent.
- Oil-free Granola: adds an excellent crunch. So good!
Next time you’re making sweet potatoes for a side dish, bake extra and store them in the fridge so you’ll have breakfast the next morning.
Breakfast Sweet Potato FAQ
In the unlikely event, you have leftover breakfast sweet potato, or you like to meal prep, you can store sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, yes, yes! Eat the sweet potato skins! It’s actually one of my favorite parts of the potato. And, you should eat. There’s lots of nutrients in the skin.
Add 2 minutes per extra sweet potato.
And, just in case you’re wondering. Yes, these make an excellent dessert option. What? You never thought about having sweet potatoes for dessert? I guess there’s a first time for everything.
More Vegan Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more healthy easy recipes to start your day. Here are some of my favorites:
I hope you enjoy this recipe so let me know! Please leave a comment below with a star rating. I would greatly appreciate it.Print
- Wash the sweet potato and use a fork to poke several holes around the sweet potato.
- Place on a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 5 minutes. You should be able to push a fork into the potato without any effort. If it’s not tender enough simply microwave in 30-second increments.
- Cut the sweet potato down the center, spread, and then fluff with a fork. Drizzle with the tahini and top with chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the sweet potato and poke holes around the sweet potato.
- Bake the sweet potato for 45-50 minutes. The potato is done when you can easily pierce it with a fork and the center is soft and tender.
- Remove from the oven, cut the sweet potato down the center, spread, and then fluff with a fork. Drizzle with the tahini and top with chocolate chips.
- Serving Size: 1 sweet potato
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Sodium: 76.8 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.4 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: loaded breakfast sweet potatoes, stuffed sweet potatoes, breakfast sweet potatoes, healthy