The BEST Vegan Taco Meat is made with cauliflower, mushrooms, walnuts, and spices. It’s so easy to make and ready in only 20 minutes. The perfect vegan ‘meat’ substitute.
This vegan taco meat is perfect for your tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or making the best vegan nachos in the world. So, “IF” you have leftovers you can make several different meals throughout the week.
This dish is the perfect dinner for the weekend or weekday. It’s wholesome, healthy, and quick. And, one batch makes 8-10 tacos!
Let’s make it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You won’t believe how easy this is to make. And, these vegan tacos are kid approved.
- Vegan Taco Meat: Cauliflower, mushrooms, and walnuts are the base for this recipe. And, you can adjust the amounts for your preference. If you don’t like mushrooms add more walnuts. If you want less fat you can omit the walnuts and add more mushrooms. It’s still delicious.
- Seasoning: soy sauce, chipotle chili powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and liquid smoke.
Now, it’s time assemble and cook!
How To Make Vegan Taco Meat
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Roughly chop your mushrooms and toss them into the food processor with the riced cauliflower and walnuts. Then, pulse a few times to blend.
NOTE: If you are not using prepackaged riced cauliflower be sure and do that first before adding the mushrooms and walnuts.
- Now, add all the remaining ingredients and process until it has a “ground beef” consistency and everything is well combined. Stop to scrape down the side if you need to.
- Transfer the vegan taco meat mixture into the skillet and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, reduce the heat and cook for another 10-12 minutes. Taste and season as you cook until it fits your taste.
- You can also bake this in the oven if you prefer. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and cook for 20 minutes. Then, use a spatula to gently stir the mixture and bake for another 10 minutes.
And, you’re done. Enjoy!
How To Serve Vegan Taco Meat
Use my healthy crispy Baked Taco Shells and top with shredded lettuce, salsa, a little guacamole, and my Vegan Cashew Sour Cream! If you want to keep the fat down just leave off the guacamole and use my Easy Vegan Tofu Sour Cream instead. Still delicious!
How To Store
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a week. And, when you’re read to serve simply reheat or serve cold.
Vegan taco meat can be stored in the freezer as well. Simply place it in the fridge 24 hours before using so it can thaw. Then, reheat and enjoy.
More Amazing Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Sriracha Mayo
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning
- Vegan Chipotle Aioli
- Best Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich
- Easy Vegan Breakfast Tacos
Did you make this Vegan Taco Meat? Be sure and let me know! Leave a comment, RATE IT, and tag a photo #shaneandsimple on Instagram.
Inspired by Pinch Of Yum.Print
- 1 12-ounce bag of riced cauliflower or one small head of cauliflower
- 4–5 chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup walnuts (optional)
- 3 Tbs low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper for a little heat (optional)
- Preheat large nonstick skillet on medium high heat
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until you get a “ground beef” consistency and everything is well combined.
- Pour mixture into skillet and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low-medium and cook for another 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season as you go in order to fit your taste.
- Remove from heat and build tacos with corn or flour tortillas and favorite toppings.
- Prep Time: 5 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: ⅓ cup
- Calories: 37
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 127.7 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.5 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan taco meat, vegan taco meat cauliflower, vegan taco meat walnuts, vegan tacos, vegetarian taco filling